Review: BTS - Permission to Dance


Review: BTS - Permission to Dance

Of BTS's last 4 singles, 3 have been in English. These English songs have charted much higher internationally, leading to more exposure for the group. Unfortunately, these songs have been quite generic. From Dynamite to Butter, BTS seems keen on building a funky sound. Another correlating fact of all these singles is that none of them were written (at least mostly) by BTS. This is a rarity for BTS, who gained attention initially for their (excellent) self-produced material.

Now, for the most part, this transition has worked, even if it has been far from seamless. The reason for this is simple. Both Dynamite and Butter had killer hooks which made them endlessly repeatable. This also gave the songs' a unique edge which certainly supported their surge in the charts. Permission to Dance, on the other hand, is so smooth, that no hook really sticks.

The strongest hooks are all centered in the chorus. The chorus is made of several small refrains, each with a sort of folk-rock stomp. It is all very feel-good. Definitely unlike traditional BTS songs, but not too new for Ed Sheeran, though. In the end, though, the chorus needs stronger instrumentation. The violin is fun but certainly out-of-place. In the end, the production hear lacks any real bones to build the meat on.

The verses build with the same groove that the chorus has. Unfortunately, in subsequent listens, the verses don't hold up too well, as we now know they lead nowhere. In the end, I actually enjoy this feel-good style. It certainly is unsubstantiated, but somewhat works nevertheless. The worst part of the verses, though, is how long they often drag. In radio pop, the short length is necessary to avoid the song becoming forgettable. Permission to Dance crosses this line occasionally. The lame "Da na na na" hook, shamelessly ripped from Dynamite, sounds out-of-place as well.

Lyrically, Permission to Dance is actually the best of the three BTS English singles. It is pure feel-good radio pop. This gives a simple concept. Thus, there is no real cringe from the lyrics. I even occasionally smiled when listening to the lyrics.

However, the biggest flaw in Permission to Dance, by far, is the return of the Big Hit vocal processing. For the first time since Life Goes On last year, I could not tell who was singing. Whenever I popped into the MV, I was surprised to find that all the seven distinct timbres of the members were so blended. Namjoon, Taehyung, Yoongi, Jungkook, Jin, J-Hope, and to a lesser extent, Jimin, all sounded the exact same. One of BTS's unique calling cards has always been their excellent vocal variety. Permission to Dance robs this so completely, that I feel that with that level of vocal processing, even I could sing the song and sound the exact same. This is especially sad, given that BTS could easily sing this normally.

Permission to Dance is fun at times, it works well enough. But as a BTS single, as a song from a well-respected band known for their social commentary, Permission to Dance comes off as quite discardable. This is a shame, as BTS can, and have, done better.

Rating: 6.5/10

Side Note: Impressive that they added the ASL sign for 'Dance' into their choreography.


Image Source: Show Biz Junkies

Comments

  1. I agreed with all of your points, but the song feels so awkward and cringe honestly. Like Nick said, It doesn't feel like THEM.

    July has been a weak month for K-pop so far, I am hoping the last few weeks will bump this month up...It really needs it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come to think of it now, there really has been no strong song in July just yet. Billie Eillish and BTS underwhelmed, Pool Party counts as June for me, and much more. I am counting the June 31 singles by BDC, Omega X, and Just B as July, so I guess that does spice things up a bit?

      Delete
    2. This song was amazing for me. There was a diverse amount of people represented in their song. And most of the choreo was in sign language. I think the messaging behind the song was something that makes this song more memorable. During the tough times of COVID, I will listen to this song in hopes that things will get better and as a reminder that a day will come when COVID will have to go away. By then I will try to stay strong.

      Delete
    3. Glad it meant so much to you!

      Those points you made were many of the reasons I enjoyed the song. The diverse cast, the message, and especially the sign language were really important touches. While I found the actual music forgettable at points, the message was certainly well done!

      Delete
  2. Well I liked it! I can even say as far as it is ON PAR with TVXQ's Balloons, even the lyrics. I mean the only thing that really got me was the strings and the piano. It was just so out-of-the-ordinary, I loved it. As far as I can tell BTS had made worse than this, specifically, please do not bash me, WOH. I did not personally like that.

    PTD is basic, sloppy and out of BTS' area. But it has that soul for me, maybe this is again the T1419 or the uhm ITZY fever. But I see nothing to conclude it being so bland. K-Pop is not like this, K-Pop did not mediocritize string-piano pop songs. So it is excellent enough for me. Plus, not living in US or maybe in the west or hell even not listening was beneficial. This is just great. (all of this is personal opinion)

    I guess whilst the whole of K-Pop hates PTD. Some people will like it, no matter how small they are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you mention WoH... I actually like the track XD. I agree the lyrics are questionable. But I'm really attracted to their energy and instrumental. It would be a shock to western audiences if BTS can comeback with a song as rambunctious as WoH.

      Delete
    2. I knew you would like it! Glad you enjoyed it. Yeah, maybe the fact that these types of songs are a dime a dozen in the west makes it a little weaker in my mind. If its any consolation, the lyrics were fun, and I would have enjoyed it without the autotune.

      Onto your and Terrance's discussion on War of Hormone. To me, I would actually only enjoy it even a bit if the lyrics were gone. I mean, I can take Boy in Luv, but WoH really is misogynistic in the true sense of the world. At least BTS did redeem themselves with the excellent 21st Century Girl.

      But even musically, WoH was a tad repetitive. Maybe if they kept the rap rock beat though for a western single, something good could come?

      Delete
    3. It's a good thing WoH is in Korean, cuz to me, I MAYBE hate it more if it was in English instead. Still, looking at the translations again enters me in a state of "wtf?" I usually make up words in my head whenever I listen to songs like these, at least to make it tolerable.

      For the last comment, It's more like I want BTS to return with a banger like their 2014-16 materials (i.e. Boy in Luv, Dope, Fire). I would love if they try a rock sound, or really anyhting new they haven't done... AS LONG as it's produced well.

      Delete
    4. Yeah, my exact reaction when I listen to WoH.

      Something, anything that sounds like a successor to their work from Skool Luv Affair to You Never Walk Alone would be great for me.

      Delete
  3. I think no vocal processing and a couple more instruments for the chorus would’ve made the track better. As of now, I don’t hate the song (I actually like it), but I would like BTS to ditch this western pop sound and try other genres. This is a good song, but BTS should take this sound and transform it into something better, and that’s what Kpop is good at.

    Just hope this is the last English release. I don’t mind the song. All 3 of their English releases are good. I would like some westerners to explore Kpop’s daring takes on western music rather than think Kpop is “safe and easy” to listen to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I think no vocal processing and a couple more instruments for the chorus would’ve made the track better". This. This is exactly what the song needed.

      Yeah, I hope they give us a good Korean single next time, or anything really experimental.

      Delete
  4. Am I the only one that liked this song. I don't really care about the vocal processing. Its just got really good vibes, hence caught me. I felt at ease and happy with this music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, many people liked the song. I am glad you enjoyed it! And yes, the vibe is amazing :)

      Delete

Post a Comment