Review: Twice - Alcohol-Free

 

Review: Twice - Alcohol-Free

Though it is rare to find a good song in the genre, I really am a big fan of bossa nova. It blends samba music with a beachy and calm style. Thus, I was surprised at my nonchalance upon hearing the teasers for Twice's new single. I believe the main reason for that might be the title of the song. I have been listening to a lot of international music since my youth, and I have seen some crazy English titles by people who really don't know how the language sounds in the west, but Alcohol-Free is something... new. I now am imagining a world, where people are not vegetarian, but meat-free, not sad, but happy-free, and not under-18, but voting-free. All jokes aside, it really made me curious about the song's lyrics.

Well, as it turns out, they are love lyrics like any other song. The idea seems to be 'I am sober but drunk as I am near you'. Really, as many have pointed out, 'Drunk in you' would be a much better title. I honestly am not frustrated or shocked, just amused and surprised. I'd say that this was a major hurdle in me enjoying the song itself.

Speaking of which, Alcohol-Free is actually pretty solid. The instrumentation provides a beachy and calm feel. It is simple, but unique to the K-Pop scene. The Spanish guitar drives most of the song, even if other instruments play a large role. Various tropical and wild sounds appear across the verses until the first drums appear in the pre-chorus.

Speaking of which, the pre-chorus has a really strong melody. I especially am fond of the final few, descending notes. It creates a dreamy atmosphere, setting the stage for better stuff. The chorus opens with Nayeon singing separated lines, divided by the hazy and summer-esque synths. It is refreshing, with some electronic instruments adding to the melody. The two phases add some melody, the 'drunk in you' hook is particularly strong.

The second verse opts for a Latin arrangement of the instrumental. It merges well with what has come so far, yet keeps the listener on their feet just long enough for the smile-inducing pre-chorus and chorus to arrive.

The bridge opens with some rap, and it really is momentum-killing. It is fine, but it does not fit with the summary sound. I understand the need for rap in K-Pop, but it really does not fit. The rest of the bridge hints at an explosion, which does not arrive. Soon enough, we are back in the sweet and simple bossa nova sound.

Many have criticized Alcohol-Free for its lack of ambition. I think that is the point of the song, it is supposed to be simple and sweet. In that aspect, it is a success, even if some minor changes would help it a lot.

Rating: 8.5/10


Image Source: Phil Star Life

Comments

  1. blueraspberrysyrup (K.H)June 11, 2021 at 7:47 PM

    Alcohol-free makes me feel like doing the samba on the beach with a virgin piña colada. The chill dreamy vibe it has is so tantalizing! The beginning of the rap section did bring the song to a slight stop but at least it didn't go full on trap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That opening line rhymed! The dreamy vibe is what I enjoy too. It creates an excellent feel for the song to build off on.

      Delete
  2. Now this is a review! I mean I loved Alcohol-Free now. I really vibe to it, maybe because I am daydreaming about the beach or what but still TWICE's new song is a must-listen for all of the folks out here. It is a delightfully cute and elegant summer comeback.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Glad you liked Alcohol-Free too, it is just a great piece of summer fun, and slots nicely into my playlist for the season.

      Delete

Post a Comment