Review: BDC - Moon Rider


 Review: BDC - Moon Rider

BDC's September single Shoot the Moon was a grower for many. For me, it was a hit right off the bat. Simply put, it was atmospheric, experimental, and had an excellent flow. Every moment led to another, and each section was with meaning to the overall theme. Moon Rider is the successor to that song, and tackles a more dance track-esque beat.

The verses have the strong bass beat that defines many modern K-Pop songs. Over here, the verses themselves work as their own entity. I actually am not a fan of this. Shoot the Moon made you wait for the good moments and built towards them. Over here in Moon Rider, the verses feel like filler room that was added later. This can be best shown by how the pre-chorus feels so separated from the rest of the verses.

The second verse tackles a strong rap style. The mixing here is mixed (quite literally), and while the rap on its own is good, it does not add much to the song as a whole, and the members' voices are mixed to high.

Now that I got the verses out of the way, let us talk about the good stuff. By that, I mean the chorus. Where do I start? The melody is strong, the arrangement is easily the best Brand New Entertainment gave us yet. The mixing problems disappear entirely. The funky beat feels authentic, and those strings add an ornate feel, lifting the song. The members provide great vocal performance, complimenting each other greatly. I only wish we got a third phase of the chorus or repeated the second phase more. But boy, the chorus. Also, the high-note in the bridge is great.

If it is not clear, I feel the chorus is really, really good. In the end, if the verses were better mixed, or flowed better, this might have been a 9. But still, the chorus made me quite tempted. I mean, it is just simply amazing.

Rating: 8.75/10

Image Source: Kpop Reviewed

Comments

  1. Chorus can really make or break a song! Glad you like this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Chorus can really make or break a song!". If only we could let the executives at YG Ent hear this...

      The chorus for this song is so good. Probably one of the best this year so far.

      Delete
  2. Yes 108! This is such a big song for me. The ROTY predictions have drastically changed too. You will be shocked at who gets booted and who stays but BDC's MOON RIDER is a strong song I doubt any R&B can put it off anytime sooner. It is just amazing, exhilarating and fantastic!

    The chorus tbh is a such a big factor in K-Pop it is what defines a song. It is just what many sacrifice these days but many put it forward too. So yes it is kind of sad an equilibrium cannot be achieved. Anyways, what did you think of Seoul by Ghost9? Maybe you liked it? And maybe I am the only one who did like the Rose solo. Well anyways, I would love to hear your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not fully sure what I think of either. Seoul is just 'existing' for me. Doing nothing good or bad. I enjoy the verses of Rose's solo, but the chorus is buzzkill.

      Delete
    2. I have to agree to all points.

      Delete

Post a Comment