Review: BDC (Boys De Capo)- Shoot the Moon

 

Review: BDC (Boys De Capo) - Shoot the Moon

Sometimes I feel that a few days are required for me to properly give thoughts on a song. I gave Criminal a score higher than it deserved and Bon Voyage a score much lower than it deserved. Thus, I thought to give BDC's new song a review a few days after release, and I am so happy I did so because it grew massively.

BDC (Boys De Capo) is a pre-debut unit from Brand New Music, AB6IX's agency. They released ONE single last year and then went on an unofficial hiatus for nearly a year. I literally forgot they exist. Thus, there were no expectations for 'Shoot the Moon', but its follow-up will definitely have expectations.

The verses stay reserved at moody throughout. Normally that would be a criticism, but the verses build towards a climax, and the song never seems to ignore the concept of the build. Thus, the verses feel closer to atmospheric than lazy.

The chorus starts out with some electronic instruments acting like bass, the bass chorus vibe has been used a lot in 2020, and I love it. The tempo slowly builds until we reach the second phase.

The second phase starts with an EDM synth breakdown from the 2000s/2010s, vocals arrive to accompany it leaving us all blown. This EDM section makes all the build-up worth it. Remember when the chorus would be the fulfillment of a massive build? This is a modern example for those that don't.

The second repetition puts a weak bridge between the two sections, but it makes the breakdown even better. I am not sure how this track will age 10 years from now, but I love it at the moment.

Rating: 9/10

Comments

  1. Wow. I'm impressed I'm glad you love this song, even if others do not. I absolutely was addicted to this song. I'm glad I found a person with same thoughts, and I'm shocked at the score. I was very amazed by the production on this one, Brand New Music engineers music just like an American label, that is why I love their song mastering. The composition might be simple and lackluster to others and also objectively to me but I definitely jam this one. 9/10!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it! I think its simplicity helps this song stands out.

      Delete

Post a Comment