Review: Teflon Brothers x Pandora - I Love You


Review: Teflon Brothers x Pandora - I Love You 

We are currently in the middle of the qualification season for Eurovision. There have been some great songs, some terrible ones, and a lot in the middle. Finland's qualification round has seen some very, very, very different songs. Quickly listen to this song, and now check out Blind Channel's Dark Side, and watch your jaw drop when you realize they are from the same country, running for the same competition.

I Love You's synth beat clearly draws influence from Take on Me, the eternal A-Ha hit. Can we just take a minute to appreciate that classic. No matter how many songs basically plagiarize it, it never loses any of its original shine, and the opening synth still hits just as hard.

Back to this song, I Love You is a team-up between Finnish singer Pandora and hip-hop trio Teflon Brothers. Apparently, it is a spoof of Finnish people unwilling to say "I love you". I know nothing of Swedish culture other than Nightwish, so I don't really think I can say much on that.

The song easily works best when it accepts its extreme cheesiness and its 80s roots. The chorus, a repeating of one phrase, can get cloying but is easily the song's best moment. In contrast, the messy verses can be pretty hard for listeners to keep up with.

Overall a solid effort, this is no Monument or Set me Free, but not everything can be.

Rating: 7/10

Image Source: mtvuutiset   

Comments