Top 50 Songs of 2020: 10 - 6

 

Top 50 Songs of 2020: 10 - 6


10. Craxy - Aria

A debut song has to standout. It must be endlessly playable, yet have a sense of artistic value. It must try something unique, yet not chase away members of the audience. Anyway, Aria is one of the best debut songs that one could have. The song is weird, yet manages to hold together. I have played it a whole lot, yet it does have some artistic value. However, if I had to describe the track with one word, it would be 'absurd'.

There is some hyper-active rapping through the track, while there is just enough room for Swan to show off her vocal talent. The song is over the top and would fail miserably if the girls did not have the confidence to pull this off. Thankfully they do, and Aria is a gem. The further one goes in the track, the more absurd it gets. Fake-Outs, High-Notes, sprint raps, the song does it all while blending EDM together with Korean traditional to make one of 2020's weirdest songs.

9. Dimash Kudaibergen - Across Endless Dimensions

Funny story: While writing the draft for this post, I initially wrote "Across Endless Dimash-ions", I am not kidding.

Dimash is a tremendous vocal talent, and Across Endless Dimensions is another example of this. Like in Your Love, he slowly builds from a low base to an incredible climax. Of course, ignoring the dense, interesting, and complex instrumental would be a crime. The violins and guitars especially stand out. The moment the guitar hits and we enter the chorus is sort of a revelation where the song reaches its first apex. It is even more incredible to see Dimash go to barely a whisper in a second.

Of course, the final chorus is the true heart of the songs. Dimash emotes while letting the track rip forward with the guitar. Then, of course, we hit that high-note. Note that the word 'That' is italicized, I did that on purpose. The high-note at the end of the track is one of the greatest high-notes ever. Initially, I even thought it was a guitar riff in epic proportions. Instantly accessible, while still holding a shock around every corner, Across Endless Dimensions is a gem. And of course, the high-note is simply perfect.

8. SixTONES - Imitation Rain

SixTONES's debut song does not sound like a debut song. It sounds likes the return of a senior artist group coming back after a long hiatus. The guitar at the back of the track propels everything forward, while the emotive chorus lets the group's A-Grade vocals stand out. A mega-hit in Japan, Imitation Rain feels like an instant classic. While you could listen to the YouTube MV version, I suggest you listen to the whole version, the vocals are better spread. All the vocals culminate in Juri's English rap segment, which blends the near-cheesy delivery with smart lyrical choices. And finally, there is a gorgeous piano throughout the track.

7. Sexy Zone - Run

I am someone who likes my music to be art. Thus, I had a somewhat initial dislike towards the J-Pop group Sexy Zone simply because of their (still terrible) name. However, the saying is "don't judge a book by its cover", and Sexy Zone is a textbook example of this saying. Run might be musical art on wheels. It races and pushes everything to 11 (it surprises me the song does not collapse under its own weight) while maintaining flow and depth. It is a song I have recommended many times, though I only tell the group name after they listen to the song...

6. Dimash Kudaibergen & Igor Krutoy - Your Love

This collaboration between the acclaimed vocalist and pianist was bound to be a pleasant treat. But I never expected it to be this good. It builds like a snowball, going from a barely heard whisper from Dimash into a towering battle for supremacy between the instruments and Dimash's voice, with Dimash eventually emerging triumphant as the two forces blend. The whistle high-note still gives me chills.

Comments

  1. Indeed I was right! But the Top 5 is still undetermined. I'm so happy that the Top 10 has really the most objectively highest quality songs in the world. It is so great! ARIA is amazing tho, an Dimash still makes amazingly outstanding music. The GRAMMYs should nominate him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you felt it is objective, true or not!

      I wish Aria would get more love, I am sad only my top 10 included it. It is an excellent track.

      Funny you mention Dimash and the Grammys, I whole the same thought. I think he is perfect for the award. He even won it for the Russian equivalent. I think the reason he has not been nominated is because either the people do not know him yet, or they have issues with nominating musicians from western Asia, or Asian musicians as a whole.

      Delete
    2. Your music lists are by far the most objective one I've seen in the critics circles. Since many foreign critics fail to include eastern music. Likewise always the powerful and very obscure acts are overshadowed by mainstream ABC music. I'm tired of this flagrant approach.

      I wish there would be a time music critics view this as a breakthrough. Reflecting their blatant blindness in the world full of amazing music.

      Delete
    3. Thank you StillBangtan!!! You do not know how much this means to me! Actually, your new review system is extremely objective, perhaps more than mine 😃

      Delete

Post a Comment