2020 Highlight Review: Dimash Kudaibergen & Igor Krutoy - Your Love

 

2020 Highlight Review: Dimash Kudaibergen & Igor Krutoy - Your Love

 Okay, I kind of am breaking the rules here, as this song was released in March, and will definitely not be allowed for October's end of month list, but I needed to review it, so I created a new feature. I am not sure I will continue it, but I really needed a reason to review this track.

Dimash Kudaibergen is a Kazakh singer discovered by me in September, and he has dominated my listening in October. In fact, just like Miyavi is probably the greatest guitarist of the 21st century (or at least in the top 5), Dimash is probably the greatest vocalist of the 21st century. I do not say this lightly, Changmin, Jonghyun, Fujihara, Beyonce, Lara Fabian, Arijit Singh, are all fantastic, but Dimash has a wider range than all of them. If there is an underrated singer who I have yet to hear, then maybe Dimash is not, but of all singers who I have heard (and I hear some obscure singers too), Dimash is the best in the 21st century by far.

'Your Love' sees Dimash accompanied by pianist Igor Krutoy, and it starts as a delicate piano ballad. It is performed barely over a whisper till the end of the first chorus. While this may seem like a criticism, I love a good piano ballad, and despite the strained English lyrics, Dimash perfectly shows the delicateness he is trying to convey.

After the first chorus, strings and an accordion come in to accompany, and Dimash begins to sing around mezzo-forte. Then, the chorus hits again. Dimash slowly increases his vocal intensity as the chorus goes on, and by the end, has hit several incredible high and low notes one after another that would be impossible for several A-list vocalists to ever hit even with breaks. This opera-worthy chorus is just the start of an incredible vocal performance that lasts till the end of the song.

Dimash then does some incredible ad-libbing, including a segment where he basically turns his vocals into a flute. It should be physically impossible, but Dimash looks like he is just having a blast and not hitting near-impossible notes.

While I mostly have praised the vocals on this track, kudos to the songwriters (Lara Fabian and Igor Krutoy) for bunking convention. The song moves from a whispered piano ballad to a dramatic ad-lib section. This should be followed by a second verse, but then we are moved straight to the final chorus (I have seen this in other Dimash tracks, I wonder if this is his thing uniquely), yet still manages to hit nearly five minutes.

This final chorus is highly theatrical, hitting even higher and lower notes than expected. If you are not blown over yet, this section will do this, and so will that final 15-second long high-note. I highly recommend this track, so listen to it, like now.

Rating: 9.75/10

Photo Source: YouTube

Comments