Review: BoA - Better

BoA - Better.png
By Source, Fair use, Link

 Review: BoA - Better

Fifty years from now, when K-Pop from this era (90s to the 2010s) is looked at, BoA would most likely top the list of most iconic artists. She basically is Korea's Teresa Tang, Lata Mangeshkar, or Ayumi Hamasaki. She has just come back with a new album, and boy is it solid. I really enjoyed the album, but right now I am going to write about the title track.

It is written by Yoo Young-Jin, my favorite songwriter of the 21st century (and one of the best of the 90s too), who has had some legendary collaborations with BoA before (Girls on Top). I kind of wanted to see Kenzie also involved in the track, though, as she generally writes tracks closer to BoA's style. Still, I am so happy that this track is finally out.

'Better' has an R&B groove and feels like something from early 2000s SM K-Pop. While that style is dated, I enjoy it. The verses are mostly sing-talk, and I do not like sing-talk. You need charisma if you do not want sing-talk to be annoying. Thankfully, BoA is one really charismatic performer. I actually enjoyed the sing-talk, though I wish there was more, singing. The pre-chorus listens to my request with a good dose of melody.

The chorus is restrained, but still, it works with the 2000s style. I just wish there was less vocal processing. Sure, it is not 2020 vocal processing annoying, but still, I wanted to hear more of BoA's vocals. The bridge and everything after fulfill my request, with some solid vocals and a bunch of style, including a brilliant high-note. BoA is back, and while this is not her at her peak, she is still so much better than many modern artists.

Rating: 8.75/10

Comments

  1. I find it funny that almost every K-Pop track has vocal processing on it! EVEN SM! I am shocked. Well I don't mind it anyway, I'll just mind if the vocals are overdone and can't even sing live. I love Better by BoA. It is the better SM release this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better release lol.

      Actually my favorite SM release this year is still probably Criminal followed by Punch, Chocolate, and One (Monster + Infinity). Who knows, someday Better might make it in there :)

      Delete
    2. Yes Criminal is the best followed by Punch

      Delete
    3. Well, I would say Chocolate, Punch, and One basically tie. I really am not sure which one is better.

      Funny thing is that all those three songs have been quite divisive, but I enjoyed them all!

      Delete

Post a Comment