Review: Frederic - Junkie


Review: Frederic - Junkie

Now that my schedule has eased, I can finally write a review for one of my favorite underrated highlights this year. J-Rock is a vast musical scene, including everything from heavy metal to cutesy Kawaii rock, and sometimes songs with an excess of both. The band Frederic fall into the quirkier end of Japanese soft-rock. They have a strong vocalist in Kenji Mihara, who reminds me of a younger, less emotive Fujihara. This is interesting, as Frederic debuted in the same year as Higedan. I guess that just shows how quickly Official Hige Dandism have matured and evolved as artists.

That said, youth can be used as a weapon, and Junkie wears it as its calling card. While the official translation is clearly a little unreliable and confusing, it is clearly about struggling to fit in and peer pressure for young people. I think this is quite a universal idea, and Frederic are clever to utilize this. A strong music video greatly supports this, with some clever camerawork sealing the deal.

Junkie's secret is that it is quick-footed, never settling itself into a segment that would lead to monotony. Speedy rock production is strong, and assisted by some fantastic hooks. The "Aki aki desu" post-chorus hook will weave its way into your head, and so will the rest of the chorus. Each refrain outdoes the previous one, and this is fantastic. Fun is an underrated facet of artistic expression, and Junkie understands this very well.

Rating: 8.75/10


Image Source: Jame World

Comments

  1. Ohh the MV is really cute and quirky, and the editing is also pretty nice! Me likey.

    I like how even though it pr/esents itself as cute-ish, it doesn't get too deep into the 'kawaii rock'. My ears ain't made for really high-pitched singing...

    Also I don't know why but watching the two girls dancing with their arms stretched, waving their hands about, and their most deadpan faces made me smile. I'm gonna blame it on the cute rabbit heads they wore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The MV here is utterly fantastic, and the editing is definitely part of that.

      I think part of the reason it does not deplete itself into Kawaii is this song is not trying to be overly cute and sexy for creepy adults, it genuinely feels like it was made for young people going through the situations described in this song. Also, the singer can actually sing!

      Those two girls dominate every scene they are in the MV, I love their choreo and Buster Keaton-esque expression. I think this is one of the MVs where the background dancers demand as much, if not more, attention than the actual performers.

      Delete
    2. "I think part of the reason it does not deplete itself into Kawaii is this song is not trying to be overly cute and sexy for creepy adults"
      Ohh, that's a good point. And yeah I agree, it really does feel like people singing a song about young people's story of peer pressure.

      "Also, the singer can actually sing!"
      LOL. You're not wrong though.

      Delete
    3. Yep, I hope more songs follow this track's model, focusing on one audience whom the song is clearly made for, and not pandering themselves into creepy situations.

      Delete

Post a Comment