Horrid Song Review: Pikotaro - PPAP

Daimaō Kosaka.jpg

 Photo Source: Wikimedia, CC BY 4.0, Link

 Horrid Song Review: Pikotaro - PPAP

You all thought I had abandoned this feature, right?

 This is why I say success does not always equal quality. This is just sooo bad.

A quick recap of what has happened since I reviewed 'Lu'. Depression and PTSD feel rampant. Like no, the song feels even worse now. I actually was going to review 'Hot Problems' or 'Open my Door', but I thought that I should do a slightly better piece of garbage between the real stinkers.

While we all may miss school once a while, I dare any of you to WANT to perform a Kindergarten school song again. Just instead of educational lyrics, you sing about mystical correlations between types of snacks and types of writing tools. If you can last the lyrics, you have to deal with Pikotaro's (dancing)?

There is an electronic breakdown in the middle song, which is a musical embodiment of suffocation. It feels like drugged choking. The sad instrumental is just the tip of the iceberg as it the only time the song is a song.

There is some awkward talking in the verses with (not real) music playing in the background. I could not deal with it and soon began playing another song.

Not all in the song must be bad though if a song is this popular, and I, unfortunately, must admit I subconsciously hummed the song back in 2016. It knows it is not art, and unlike Lu, it does not try to be good. Pikotaro's stupid performance works well and is quite funny to think of at times.

In the end, though, this is no 'Dhivara', 'Rising Sun', 'Bang' or 'Medals', yet it has more views than all those combined, how?

Also, what will future generations think when they learned this was a mega-hit? Just listen to this combined with Axel F or the same artist's new song 'Pika to Piko' for more stupid fun meme music though...

Rating: 2/10

Comments

  1. Of course this is just novelty which is one of Japan's most streamed MV but it just got dethroned by none other that the ever-legendary Kenshi Yonezu's Lemon. By the way I just got this news:

    Song of the Year — Voted by 200 industry professionals
    #1. BTS - Dynamite - 106 votes
    #2. SSAK3 - Beach Again - 32 votes
    #3. ZICO - Any Song - 19 votes
    #4. OH MY GIRL - Nonstop, NCT 127 - Kick It - 7 votes
    Link: http://www.joynews24.com/view/1311814

    This might be the NIA nominees what do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, I think NCT 127 will be snubbed at this year's NIA and even the Golden Tune and especially the Critics' Circle.

      Delete
    2. All those are darlings for SK critics. I think along with Baekhyun's Candy, and Twice's More and More they are likely to get nominated in many places. Most award shows seem to be BTS biased for SOTY as of late (2019 especially), so I expect Dynamite to win most major award show's SOTY. And ya, will not be surprised if NCT 127 is snubbed. But then again, I am no expert on the award shows.

      Delete
    3. Nah... do not think about if you are good or not good, I'm glad that your picks maybe nominated in MMAs or the MAMAs. Also I was referring to my set of award shows, the Golden Tunes will be out on Friday in YouTube and my blog. Be sure to check out what the South Korean press and Soompi, Koreaboo, AllKpop is picking. You'll be shocked at who is even nominated for SOTY. Maybe even every thing.

      Delete
    4. Ooh I hope I will be (pleasantly) shocked. I enjoyed the GMF, so I am looking forward to your other music shows!

      Delete
    5. Also, just subscribed to the blog, looking forward to seeing your thoughts, and the collective K-Pop critic thoughts on every track, thanks for including me in your reviews :)

      Delete
    6. Your welcome and thanks for subscribing! I'll be posting comments here alot also as I'm very curious on your takes.

      Delete
    7. Will always love to see your comments here :)

      Delete

Post a Comment