Yanno... This Year Has Had Some Awful Songs


Yanno... This Year Has Had Some Awful Songs

I'm tired of positivity! Let's talk now about the worst songs that have been released this year... to vent my frustration and make sure I don't suffer alone.


Yo Yo Honey Singh, Salman Khan, Devi Sri Prasad, Neha Bhasin - Let's Dance Chotu Motu

This is just... embarrassing. At his best, Devi Sri Prasad (DSP) can create groovy hit songs that anyone can enjoy, at his worse he is the purest form of laziness. Let's Dance Chotu Motu is not only the worst song for everyone involved, but it might be one of the worst songs of all time. There are ways to sample nursery rhymes in pop songs (Tamar Herman explains some of them in this post), but lazily muttering nursery rhyme after nursery rhyme for no reason with heavy autotune over one of the most lethargic beats ever. The end result is so bad, so bad, that even toddlers would be frustrated and annoyed to death by it. Everyone here, especially DSP and Honey Singh, deserve an Ig Noble Prize for their efforts.



Colleen Ballinger - Hi

It is not my job to review and pass judgment when a YouTuber has been accused of grooming, and I will give Ms. Ballinger the benefit of the doubt. Still, that cannot in any way excuse her from releasing a carefully crafted song to your accusations, calling accusations that you admit are at least partially true as part of a "Toxic Gossip Train," and that accusations against her have crucified her. How despicable and frustrating.


Awkwafina, Daveed Diggs - The Scuttlebutt

Unlike everyone else, I don't hate Awkwafina for existing, but... this is just embarrassing. She had a few fine rap tracks earlier, not my type, but they work. I understand that her delivery is supposed to be cringe in a fun way, but it is shockingly annoying, annoying enough that there are no words in the English language to express my wrath. It's hard to believe this is composed by Alan Menken and Lin Manuel-Miranda, who wrote Part of Your World for the same story 34 years ago. Either way, this is a travesty best forgotten.


Arijit Singh, Tulsi Kumar - Pasoori Nu

2022's Pasoori was one of the songs I proclaimed as a pure 10/10 in my 2020s 10/10 songs list, which makes it all the more bizarre that Rochak Kohli chose to remake it a year after it became the biggest song in all of South Asia, a decision even stranger when you realize that original singer-songwriter Ali Sethi is a critic of the genericness of contemporary Bollywood. Arijit is as strong as ever here, but gone is dense instrumental, traded for an average flamenco guitar, while the new lyrics don't gell with the original, and the new melody segments are just...bad. Pasoori Nu is just bad on its own, but it is awful as a remake.


Image Source: Imgflip

Comments

  1. You and me both Ariel... I too would try to block them out with a pillow.
    Did NOT know the composer, Alan Menken, who was involved with the original film's soundtrack was back in the remake. That's cool!
    Also not surprised the lyrics were written by Lin-Manuel Miranda. Most of it was ehh (Awkwafina's delivery also didn't help), but the "peck on the cheek" 'cause the character is a bird got a chuckle out of me.

    I laughed when I read your 1st song review about it being super lazy right when the singer just said "I'm so lazy". Anyways let me go cleanse my ears with not-so-lazy music after hearing all those nursery rhymes.
    And thank you for cursing us with these... songs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, Lin-Manuel has had many cleverer lyrics, and there were boards of corporates who had to approve it. You'd think he could come up with smarter lyrics.

      For the first song, I need to translate the rap:

      "Hear everybody, come near me, I'm so lazy, make me dance, make noise, make a beat, twinkle twinkle, sing with me." Yes, it does not rhyme in the original Hindi either.

      lol... sorry and thank you for bearing with the torture I through you into...

      Delete
    2. Huh, interesting. Wonder what other lyrics Lin-Manuel had before changing to what we got now 🤔

      Oh thanks for the translation. That truly is the most rap ever. 10/10

      Delete
    3. "That truly is the most rap ever," what else can I say.

      For Lin-Manuel, I honestly doubt he had a lot, given his creative prowess has been weaker in less-restricted projects as well recently.

      Delete

Post a Comment