Review: Queen - Face It Alone


Review: Queen - Face It Alone

Never did I think I'd have the chance to review a new Queen song, even less one featuring late vocalist and legend, Freddy Mercury. Well, the release of a collector's edition of the album The Miracle brings with it an unreleased song in Face It Alone, featuring Mercury's vocals, heard in a new track for the first time in years.

Now, I have a confession to make, I never really took the time to deep-dive into Queen's discography. I know almost all their major singles, but I still haven't heard any of their albums. Hopefully, I will eventually get around to doing so,

The Miracle was Queen's penultimate album, and Freddy Mercury was already suffering from AIDS, and would tragically pass away only a few years after the song's recording. The lyrics reflect Mercury's state, and how despite everything you do, you can only face your problems alone. It is quite tragic and reflective, but Mercury finds peace in that it is only him, and he makes himself.

As an emotional track, Face It Alone is a stripped-down rock ballad. A song like this sounds like a direct link to the late '70s, despite being recorded in 1988. Perhaps this was why it was removed from the album. The simple guitar loop through the song reminds me of The Eagles' Hotel California, looping back like a nostalgic yet painful reminder of long-lost golden days.

This is assisted by a fantastic vocal performance by Mercury. He was a vocal legend, and he tackles the song with the grit and emotion one might expect from such a personal story. He tackles every hook with loads of passion. Unfortunately, it makes it all the more evident where parts of the song were just looped due to incomplete surviving records, such as in the bridge.

Nonetheless, Face It Alone is a highlight, it is another entry into Queen's fantastic discography, one that will work well with the rest of the songs on The Miracle.

Rating: 8.5/10

Purchase Queen's The Miracle: Collector's Edition, right here!


Image Source: U Discover Music

Comments

  1. I like one or two songs from Queens, including Bohemian Rhapsody, I did not know this song though. Nice, you do have varied and diverse music interest. Have you reviewed Movie RRR, I think it is cool one. I always learn new music stuff on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I reviewed RRR's soundtrack a while ago, but I haven't reviewed the movie yet. Have been toying with the idea at the very least, though!

      https://108ent.blogspot.com/2022/04/album-review-mm-keeravani-rrr.html

      Delete

Post a Comment