Review: SB19 - WYAT (Where You At)


Review: SB19 - WYAT (Where You At)

When the retro trend started, I had just one question: "Each cultural and ethnic region had their own musical trend in the '80s, how will the retro trend work in these nations?" The answer came eventually: not well. I could eventually write a piece on this, but the long story short, I feel there were many options in recent songs that could and should have followed their national origins. Now is where I would have liked to tell that WYAT completely fixes these issues; it doesn't. That said, it is a surprisingly strong return for disco to the Philippines by what is easily the nation's biggest musical group at the moment.

Let us get to the most notable aspect first: WYAT is entirely in English. I think this was done to collect with all Filipinos, and not just Tagalog speakers, but seeing ALAMAT handle this by singing in multiple languages makes SB19 pale a bit in comparison. I know that not everyone can speak all languages, but it is hard not to compare.

Additionally, compared to traditional Filipino-Disco, I feel WYAT dialed back on the brass and strings. Yes, it is always in the production mix, but I wish it came into focus a little earlier than the, admittedly incredible, climax.

With those criticisms out of the way, let me say, hot diggity damn when this song gets good, it gets great! While the vocal processing is a little on the extreme end, some vocal charisma makes it across the line to work with the great hooks. I love the song's "Immediately move" segment, leading to the fantastic pre-chorus.

If I have one issue with WYAT's song structure, it is the chorus initially is underwhelming. The production is mid-tier and the hook is probably the worst in the song so far. Thankfully, this is done on the purpose. The song slowly snowballs into a climax I'd best describe as "incredible." The production pumps up to eleven, and the mixing is really good. While I don't think WYAT is perfect, it is completely worth it just for the climax.

Rating: 8.75/10

Listen to and purchase SB19's WYAT right here!


Image Source: Bandwagon

Comments

  1. Oh yes this is good and enjoyable!!!! And actually feels authentic for some reason

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is the vocal performance. Q-Pop, T-Pop and P-Pop vocals, even when processed, are designed for a somewhat more nasally charisma. I think SB19's vocalists really make this song. Glad you enjoy it!

      Delete

Post a Comment