Mid-Year Mini Song Review Pt. 2 (DeLULU, Kalush Orchestra, Dewa Budjana, Sabaton)


Mid-Year Mini Song Review Pt. 2


DeLULU - Music Saved My Soul

This year, Estonia had several incredible songs running for Eurovision. While I love the eventual winner, Stefan's Hope, my favorite song from the entire Eurovision series this year would be DeLULU's Music Saved My Soul, a slow-burn ballad about the trio's love of music. Music Saved My Soul is best listened to as a whole piece, coming together for one of the year's best finales, offering much catharsis.

Rating: 8.75/10


Kalush Orchestra - Stefania

Ukraine completely deserved this year's Eurovision win; Stefania was my favorite song to make it into the eventual competition. From the rap verses to the ode-to-my-mother lyrics to the wonderful traditional woodwind to the pink fedora guy, everything within Stefania flows naturally, a wonderful ode to the members' mothers and the land of Ukraine. It also helps that the hook is an earworm for the ages.

Rating: 8.75/10


Dewa Budjana - Curtains

While technically a remake of a Peter Gabriel track, Dewa Budjana's Curtains is pretty much a top-down new song that roughly samples the original. While Dewa Budjana does great as always, the standouts of the extensive cast of this cover would be Saatsyah on the flute and Ubiet Raseuki singing. Dewa's instrumental soundscapes assist as well, creating a song that truly is special.

Rating: 9/10


Sabaton - Christmas Truce

I could have picked any song from Sabaton's ambitious World War I album The War To End All Wars, but I find the final few songs bring out the emotional tragedy of the war the best. Christmas Truce, while technically a late 2021 song, is probably my favorite from the entire album. Written about the now-legendary 1914 Christmas Truce, the song surges with both tragic irony and a message of hope, a story of the survival of humanity.

Rating: 9/10


Image Source: Shazam

Comments