Review: Theoz - Som Du Vill (As You Like)


Review: Theoz - Som Du Vill (As You Like)

What is up with all the children in pop music? Theoz is a sixteen-year-old Swedish teenager, and an established star, active since 2018, garnering millions of views across YouTube. While not a mainstream artist just yet, he is quite talented. As Eurovision season opens, Theoz has jumped into the ring to compete for a spot in the main Eurovision competition by fighting in Sweden's Melodifestivalen.

Som Du Vill, his track for Eurovision, is far from anything unique. It opts for electronic synth-kissed production, under the tempo of a dance track. Pure pop with a capital 'P', Som Du Vill is perfect for the summer. Despite not changing from its basic formula too much, the song keeps a propulsive sense of energy to keep the song from collapsing.

Thankfully, Theoz is able to capture the energy to make sure the song works. As such a youthful artist, he lacks the technical skill or vocal ability to make a full standout, but he harnesses the youthful energy required to make the song work. Performance is an essential part of any song, and Theoz highlights the required energy with just enough panache to get the song over the line.

While unlikely to win Eurovision, Som Du Vill is fun and instantly memorable, with a twisting melody and a fun, dance-pop beat. Theoz is now within my playlist, and I am looking forward to see were he goes next.

PS: While I did not review them, I highly suggest Eesti Laul (Estonia) songs Music Saved My Soul by deLULU and Stefan's Hope. Both are quite solid.

Rating: 8.25/10



Image Source: YouTube

Comments

  1. Ay, I love this one! The lyrics and the melody are your regular fun pop. I'm here for it lol.

    On the other hand I'm really disappointed that Omar Rudberg opted for a generic English track for Melodifestivalen cause I love his Swedish songs. :/ No wonder it went unnoticed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This song is so fun, isn't it?

      True, Moving Like That is quite generic. I have yet to enjoy any of Omar's solo tracks (I discovered him only after Eurovision), but I really enjoy some FO&O songs.

      Delete

Post a Comment