The Top 100 Songs of 2021: Honorable Mentions


The Top 100 Songs of 2021: Honorable Mentions

2021 has been an interesting year for music as a whole. While it lacked the utter stand-outs of 2020, it was arguably one of the most consistent years for music in memory. As a result, I noted that a top 50 countdown for global releases would not really cut it, and instead opted for a much more ambitious top one hundred countdown, and even then I had to leave some stunning releases, with the honorable mentions and more remaining stacked.

It was a balanced year, with my top 10 featuring artists from Japan, South Korea, Sri Lanka, China, Indonesia, America, Kazakhstan, and India. This alone provides some major spoilers but shows how balanced this year was. While there was not a single 10/10 song this year, there were several highlights. Now let us get into the requirements to be on this list!

  • The song must have been released between January 1, 2021 - December 31, 2021, though exceptions will be made at times.
  • Any song from any nation is allowed.
  • Instrumental and vocal tracks are allowed, but classical music is not allowed.
  • B-Sides and singles count.
  • Soundtracks are also included.
  • This list is my personal opinion.

With that said, let the lists begin with honorable mentions!


Honorable Mentions to the Honorable Mentions

ONF - Popping

Lucy - One by One

Jeong Sewoon - In the Dark

Pon Jantapon x Noey Passawan - Love Should Have Two People

100% - Can't Say Goodbye

Younha - Stardust

Ohm Bhandari - Devoid

WOODZ - Waiting

Hwasa - I'm a B

Woosung - Dimples

LOONA - PTT

Epik High - Based on a True Story Ft. Heize

Olivia Rodrigo - Drivers License



110. Gareth Coker - Know My Legend



109. Gjon's Tears - Tout l'Univers



108. Camila Cabello - Don't Go Yet



107. Taeho - GGOMA Ft. Choi Ye Geun



106. Seventeen - Rock With You



105. YOASOBI - Monster



104. Joel Herrtua - Syntinen



103. Gabry Ponte x LUM!X x Prezioso - Thunder



102. Oneus - Black Mirror



101. aespa - Next Level

Comments

  1. Ohh lots of variety! This must have taken quite a while for you to compile together... Kudos to you 108ent! Can't wait to see this all the way to the end.

    On another note: Happy to see Taeho's 'GGOMA' slipping into your end-of-the-year 2021 list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Haruko! Hope you enjoy the rest of the list :)

      I love GGOMA, broke my heart to see it miss the top 100. Now it seems IMFACT are gone, miss them already. Hope each of the members have great individual careers.

      Delete
    2. From what I've seen IMFACT's leader, Jian, said the group did not disband despite everyone leaving the company so I'll be holding onto what he said :,)

      Maybe they could pull a BEAST/Highlight move, or maybe release music under Ungjae's label? Either way I hope it's not the end for IMFACT because they're a really cool group!

      Delete
    3. I heard that too, but groups like Beast, GOT7, and Shinhwa who left often had large fandoms yet still infrequent releases. I believe and sincerely hope IMFACT continue, but it will take at least some time. Hope for the best though!

      Delete
  2. Some great songs here and it's only honourable mentions.*-*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (meaning I'm super excited for the rest haha)

      Delete
    2. It was an absolute blood bath writing this list, so packed! Hope you enjoy the rest of the list :)

      Delete
  3. I see some big hits here already! What must your Top 10 consist for these gems to drop out significantly? Well only you can tell obsviously and I feel that the Top 10 would really be the best of even the decade. I am so stoked to see what lies ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The top 10 is actually probably the worst since 2017, when I started making rankings. I would say this year was actually pretty rounded. From 104-1, there is not a massive difference in quality. Nonetheless, I would say the releases are pretty good!

      Delete
    2. Oh wow. That's really a bold statement to state. I guess we'll have to see when that shows up. I still think 2020 was not a good year musically. 2017 was my first year as a fan so I have that year very special.

      Delete
    3. Well, I meant since 2017 the top 10 have been better, sorry if it came out wrong, I was dissing 2016 lol! But yeah counting K-Pop exclusively, this was a better year than 2020. Also, my point was the consistency of the year. There wasn't any 10/10 track, but there were a whole lot of good ones!

      Delete
  4. Woooohooooo, made the list! These songs are pretty damn good too, excited to see what's next!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment