10/10 - Music Critics Association Nominations


10/10 - Music Critics Association Nominations

A few months ago, I got an email from StillBangtan (Now going as Deforested) from Deforested Music asking me to join in a collaboration of reviewers writing about their nominees and winners in various categories. So, I decided to join in along with Mr. Simple of 555 Reviews and Tony of KPOPREVIEWED.

For this awards, only K-Pop singles are counted, and only those with MVs are included for the song picks. For the albums, only K-Pop albums are counted. For artist, only K-Pop artists are counted. You get it. After all, I can't spoil my end-of-year countdown!

Also, we only have a record of the year award, which is about production, rather than both production and songwriting, Song of the Year is exclusively for songwriting, and does not count production. Thus, neither of these are giveaways for my top songs of the year list!

For each topic, there will be eight nominees, listed randomly.

Quick note: I award a song for how good they did in their own category. For example, a rock song could be the best song of the year, but it could lose the rock song category, but win the song category, if it was not as good a rock song as a pure rock song.

With that out of the way, here are the nominations!


Be sure to check out everyone else's lists.


Album of the Year

Epik High - Epik High is Here Pt. 1

Seventeen - Your Choice

Key - Bad Love

SHINee - Atlantis

N.Flying - Turbulence

Lucy - Gatcha!

Verivery - Series O Round II: Hole

ONF - City of ONF



Artist of the Year

Brave Girls

Golden Child

IU

ONF

aespa

Oneus

Tomorrow X Together

SHINee



Song of the Year (Best Melody)

Brave Girls - After We Ride

Key - Bad Love

ONEWE - Rain To Be

ONF - Popping

IU - Lilac

ONF - Beautiful Beautiful

ONEWE - Veronica

Shaun - Closed Ending



Record of the Year (Best Production)

Yoo Young-Jin - Savage (aespa)

Brave Brothers - After We Ride (Brave Girls)

MC Mong - Dream (Song Ga-In)

Rolling Quartz - Blaze (Rolling Quartz)

AKMU - Nakka (AKMU, IU)

Hwang Hyun - Beautiful Beautiful (ONF)

Kenzie - Bad Love (Key)

IU - Lilac (IU)



Best New Artist (For Debutants)

Just B

Ciipher

Lim Seo Won

Wendy

Yuqi

Kingdom

Purple Kiss

Rolling Quartz



Best Pop Song

SHINee - Atlantis

Brave Girls - After We Ride

BDC - Moon Rider

IU - Lilac

AKMU - Hey Kid, Close Your Eyes Ft. IU

Yuqi - Bonnie and Clyde

Lee Hi - Red Lipstick Ft. Yoo Mi Rae

ONF - Beautiful Beautiful



Best Electronic Song

BZ Boys - Close Your Eyes

Just B - Damage

Key - Bad Love

aespa - Savage

Golden Child - Breathe

A.C.E - Higher

Do Hanse - Take Over

Verivery - Trigger



Best Rock Song

N.Flying - Moonshot

ONEWE - Rain To be

Pink Fantasy - Poison

Tomorrow X Together - 0X1=Lovesong (I Know I Love You)

ONEWE - Veronica

Tomorrow X Together - LO$ER=LOVER

Lucy - I Got U

Rolling Quartz - Blaze



Best R&B Song

Epik High - Based on a True Story Ft. Heize

Key - Hate That Ft. Taeyeon

Jeong Sewoon - In The Dark

Heize - Happen

Raiden - Love Right Back Ft. Taeil and Liliboi

Se So Neon - Jayu

WayV (Ten & Yangyang) - Low Low

Shaun - Closed Ending



Best Rap/Hip-Hop Song

SHINee - Don't Call Me

Tiger JK - Love Peace

Monsta X - Gambler

ONF - Ugly Dance

Pentagon (Yuto, Kino, Wooseok) - Cerberus

FreezyBone - Freezy Vogue Ft. UU Milan

Epik High - Rosario Ft. CL and Zico

P1Harmony - Scared



Best Music Video

U-Know - Thank U

P1Harmony - Scared

TXT - LO$ER=LOVER

ONEWE - Rain To Be

Everglow - First

Oneus - Black Mirror

AKMU - Hey Kid, Close Your Eyes

Golden Child - Burn It


Image Source: Deforested Music

Comments

  1. This is an amazing list. There are so many categories! I am already excited to see the winners!

    (Quietly rooting for ONF's Ugly Dance and Lucy's I Got U since I didn't nominate both of the songs I think I can openly root for them hehehe)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Mr. Simple!

      Haha, I feel you on that comment! But by the time the winners come out, you can publicly tell all the songs you favor here lol. Hope you enjoy my picks as much as I did yours!

      Delete
  2. Interesting list! Excited to see where 'Atlantis' and 'Bad Love' will place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Before I get into details and analysis, I would just like to thank you 108! You have been amazing in the blogsphere and you contributing your picks is a sight to see. I am impressed by the number of nominees and the amount of variety the list offers. Your awards are amazing and I hope we get to be shocked by the winners soon! Thank you so so much!

    Now, uhm... I saw a lot of category fraud like Close Your Eyes being in Electronic, because I classified it as R&B (lmao all of this is my fault not yours), Jayu in R&B, and Gambler in Rap/Hip-Hop. Also Record of the Year is excellent! Song of the Year is well poised as well.

    For the analysis, so at this moment your nominations all confirm that Beautiful Beautiful, Bad Love and LILAC are basically locks for ROTY. SOTY is still so loose, you provided us with some clarity and so I can see the After We Ride, Beautiful Beautiful, Bad Love and LILAC as the frontrunners. This is really interesting because those songs that I mentioned earlier have the biggest potential to do a sweep this year. But we should be wary, this is just the critics speaking, we don't know what the guilds, or indie music is gonna point fingers at.

    Now, please everyone! Look forward for KPOPREVIEWED's post tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you StillBangtan!

      On Jayu, I get it. It flirts the line between R&B and Soft Rock. I eventually put in R&B because rock was overcrowded, and R&B pretty empty. But I can get it being pushed elsewhere. Same with Gambler, it is very Rap Pop.

      On Close Your Eyes, though, I do not really see any R&B elements lol. Maybe just me, but I think it makes perfect sense as an electronic pop song, and thus its location.

      Those three are great songs, and while I cannot say if they are locked, I can say I like them a lot!

      Btw, updated SOTY to say (Best Melody), as I thought Songwriting was a little vague.

      Looking forward to Kpopreviewed's post a lot!

      Delete
  4. Woo! I am excited for this. There are a few releases on here that I haven't even checked out yet (shameful of me, I know - but in my defence, there is so much out there to consider), but I am excited to 'discover' them now, especially if they are worthy of a nomination in your awards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you are excited!

      I picked some really obscure titles here, not surprised that you don't know all. As you said, so much to consider! I hope you give all of them a listen, you may find a new favorite!

      Looking towards your post tomorrow a lot!

      Delete

Post a Comment