Review: FreezyBone - FreezyVogue (with UU Milan)


Review: FreezyBone - FreezyVogue (with UU Milan)

With so much focus on the A-List artists of K-Pop, it is becoming increasingly hard to focus on the many indie and underground artists, who have to actually take artistic risks to garner success. Thankfully, there are several indie K-Pop seekers ready to reveal the hidden gems of this world. Haruko @Quicknfiery, at her Twitter profile, has revealed several indie gems, including this one, so thanks Haruko!

Just a quick note though. FreezyVogue was released in July and thus is ineligible for the end-of-month list.

FreezyVogue rips from its first moments with its traditional Korean instrumentation. It never lets up, that is the song's greatest strength. The Gayageum absolutely rips with an aggressive and front-faced melody. It, however, takes just enough diversions for it to diversify the song's portfolio.

With the Gayageum plucking its way through the song, the rest of the song has room to build on. The song then opens with a female singer whispering. Afterwards, the female singer sings a muted melody. This muted tune acts as a counter-melody. Then, a drumbeat hits, and the track speeds up, riding a conveyor belt set by the Gayageum.

But just as quickly, the song pauses for a Gayageum instrumental segment. It is brilliant but short, completely destroying an assumed status quo. Then, instead of building to a pre-chorus or chorus, we are thrown into a rap break by a male rapper. He contrasts excellently with the singer, with a more poppy and gritty tune than the muted singer.

After that excellent and tense verse, the Gayageum instantly goes on building, with the female singer singing mutedly before the rapper appears once again to destroy the song's structure. This segment is also where dancer UU Milan gets to show off a bit of her skill, hence the feature mention. During the rap, a gritty bass appears once again for the support.

We then get another Gayageum, with the rapper ad-libbing. Afterwards, a string is played on the Gayageum, while the singer ad-libs, before the song ends.

Reading this review, one would quickly realize this song does not follow the classic AABA structure of most pop music. Instead, this song is astructural, with almost no repeating melodies throughout the piece.

This turns out to be both a boon and a curse. The song is different, but it lacks a sense of familiarity to grab onto. Nonetheless, it is enticing, and works excellently with what it is trying. This is the sort of weird music that appeals to me. It also leads a strong album, which was just released this month. Check the album out too!

Rating: 9/10


Image Source: Mania DB

Comments

  1. Aww thank you for the shoutout! It's a honour to be featured somewhere in both yours and Deforested's website. Both of you guys have articulated your thoughts so well on this song (love the detail you guys put in!) because I cannot fathom how I find this song so addicting to listen to. Like, there's no rhyme or reason for me!
    All I can conclude is that "FreezyVogue" is such a hidden gem that took me by great surprise and more people should know this song.

    Big thanks to my online friend over at Discord who shared this song. He also was pleasantly surprised by this song. He too deserves credit in giving more unknown artists a shot as well :D

    (On an unrelated note... I go by she/her. Don't worry! I'm not upset or anything. I never explicitly stated what I go by on Twitter. I thought I should let you and any other person here who reads my comments here about it ^^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh this is embarrassing. First KNK's Ride and now this, I am so sorry. I should have also guessed that you were a female, Haruko is a female name! My bad, I do not know what I was thinking (maybe the male idol on your official image, but this is now just me making excuses). I am so, so, so, sorry. This was bad on my part!

      Onto other things, I am so glad you informed us of this song, it is such a hidden gem! Thanks to your discord friend too! Keep the recommendations coming, I have another review of an indie gem you mentioned coming up soon too :)

      Delete
    2. Hey don't worry about it! Again, I'm personally not offended by it.
      I think that's also a good reminder that I should add my pronoun via Twitter profile so I think it all worked out in the end ^^
      And thank you for fixing that small detail up, 108ent!

      Oho, a spoiler? I'm looking forward to it (like any of your reviews of course)~

      Delete
  2. I need to apologize, to you both and to FreezyBone and UUMilan because as I read my article that was published at 3 AM on Monday morning. I didn't see the score typo I made. It should be a 9. I apologize and I guess I should be whipped. I am really sleepy on that time and I just needed to finish that. So I really didn't notice that.

    The song is really striking and bold, it displays so much within it. It is a true underrated gem. The gayageum really flourished with its elegant arrangement and sound. It flowed so perfectly. It is just astonishing.

    Also new reviews Haruko are coming up! Good thing I have a notepad and I write to explore new music, I will check out more of your Twitter recomends! It is worthwhile. I guess my year-end award shows and list will be very tight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 3AM on Monday!! Get some sleep StillBangtan!

      Yeah, this song is truly amazing, almost certainly the Gayageum plays a part in it hitting as it coes.

      Looking forward to you reviewing more Haruko-suggested songs. Thanks Haruko!

      Delete

Post a Comment