Review: A.C.E - Changer


Review: A.C.E - Changer

If it is not clear, I am a big fan of A.C.E. From Callin to Favorite Boys, the boy band has packed several highlights in their underrated discography. This year, they released a little gem in Higher. Not everyone enjoyed Higher, but I fully appreciated the atmosphere the track provided, with it getting better as time went on.

Now, A.C.E have released a repackaged album, with its lead single Changer. This release is also consequential, as it likely would be A.C.E's last single prior to their military enlistments. I honestly feel old. When I got into K-Pop, Shinhwa were still in the military!

That said, I wish Higher was their final military single as the repackage, and that this was the first single. The reason is for what will be a farewell for a few years at the very least, Changer feels too light and inconsequential.

I understand this was a purposeful choice. Changer is clearly meant to satisfy waiting fans with fun, rather than to be a world-conquering anthem. And if one enters with lowered expectations, one can better appreciate what the song does right.

Quite notably, the song never forgets that all good A.C.E songs have been driven by a deep atmosphere. The EDM beats from Highlight return and maintains the atmosphere. The production is quite central to the song. This is prominent in the pre-chorus, one of the stronger moments in the song.

However, my favorite moment in the track would easily be the post-chorus. The chanted hook of 'Changer wah! Changer wah! Love is not a danger wah!' comes off as surprisingly infectious. Sure, it makes no sense, but it is performed with the confidence and energy to make it come off as incredible.

Unfortunately, the song does falter at several moments. The most notable of which is the chorus. The central production here comes off as a little fragmented. Thankfully, A.C.E's members provide a fantastic performance (one meant for much strong material than this) and keep the song alive.

In the end, Changer falters at several points. However, for what the song is attempting to accomplish, it is a massive accomplishment. Both the producers and A.C.E gave more-than-satisfactory efforts, and it pays off. While I am not one to enjoy fan songs, Changer pulls it off with more panache and energy than most songs achieve.

Rating: 8/10



Image Source: The Bias List

Comments

  1. We really had the polar opposite reaction to A.C.E and fromis_9. You clearly love this release, and you clearly were dissapointed by fromis_9. Critically speaking, I think both are not really not par with what both of the groups can greatly achieve. This is the time where I can say that differing opinions does make my heart hurt a little. But, in any case, I'm really depressed that A.C.E is going to a military phase now. I wish they come back with a very jarring release and a pleasant one at that. Good luck to them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too bad that the differences make you feel a little bad. On first listen for both releases, I agreed more with your opinion, but time has been much kinder to ACE.

      I too ACE come back with something much more galvanizing!

      Delete
  2. I love that when you were talking about the "Changer (wah)" post-chorus, you wrote, "Sure, it makes no sense..", because I also thought it made no sense. I like it now, but at the start I couldn't quite wrap my head around it. I'm really glad that, despite its weak moments, that you liked this song! For me, the benefit of time paid off and this song has grown on me exponentially

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jei, I did not know you had a blogger account!

      Time helped this song for me too, I might now bump the score up by 0.25 points. Glad it has grown for you too.

      Delete

Post a Comment