Review: Monsta X - Gambler

 

Review: Monsta X - Gambler

My favorite Monsta X song of all time is their 2016 single Fighter. Fighter was driven by its retro groove, cheesy sense of fun, and engaging performance. Since then, however, Monsta X songs have been serious... and occasionally unintentionally hilarious. I am not sure if Gambler is on purpose, but is the most fun Monsta X song in years.

Let us first talk about the lyrics. The English ones especially. Note it to the world swaggy guys, when you want to flirt, say stuff like "Zero zero lucky bang", "I'm a handsome sum of money, I got a vesper martini, hoo!", "Hot as F(arenheit)", "Show me something girl you wanna be like" and the legendary king, "My suit is black my suit is fresh, open my pack let me show you how I bang". Just don't complain to me if you are instantly reported to the cops. No wonder they later say in the song "She's gone". These lines are so hilarious (most likely unintentionally), and they make the song. The members seem to be fully into this over-the-top-of-the-top-of-the-top-ness. 

To complement the lyrics, the song is equally over the top. High notes coming out of nowhere, strong guitar riffs, and swag showing off rap segments. Each of these would feel off in a personal song, but it works great in this ridiculous song.

The verses are fine, but the chorus is really where the song stores its best moments. The chanted hooks and the aggressive production make a great mix. A little more melody would send this into the stratosphere, but I will deal with what I get.

Gambler, musically, only really goes into full power near the very end. The dance breakdown, musically at least, is one of the best of its kind in years, while the choir-like "She's gone" hooks add an atmosphere before the chorus comes back, this time assisted with really strong high notes and ad-libs, and a full-on embracement of the over-the-top-ness.

I can see Gambler ripped apart like a SuperM song... because it is a very Monsta X-esque SuperM song. But the cheesiness is ripely used in this song, resulting in one of the most ridiculous, yet appealing Monsta X singles yet.

Rating: 8.75/10


Image Source: Filmy One

Comments

  1. Very high rating! I am shocked by this but deserved! Anyway, this will really lead down to be pretty subjective but I really love the groove, the styles and the musical fiasco of this song. It's just that the chorus' melody is nonexistent. I can even barely remember it. I can't even make harmonies from it. Which is mind-boggling! I mean wow, I just cannot barely stand the musical arrangement that chorus has. Maybe except for the outro which elevated the song.

    I would even argue that I Can't Stand the Rain by SuperM was Gambler but more catchier and more artistically flared than this one. Still, Gambler cannot beat my favorite post-Wonho Monsta X song which was FOLLOW. I mean yes, Wonho still was there, but it was probably their most explosive yet. Monsta X pretty much creates their own genre. So I guess I cannot be bothered by this one. That is just my critique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't Stop the Rain is a much more dynamic version of the SuperM/Monsta X cheese sound. It is more artistic, but I find it hard to remember often.

      Ooh, another Follow fan! Yeah, this is not on Follow's level yet, I love Follow a lot, so explosive and aggressive in its fun-ness.

      Delete
  2. "No wonder they later say in the song "She's gone"." I can't with you LOL.

    The last segment is truly the best one! I've really enjoyed all the promotional things they've done this era too, they're always incredibly entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True lol. I just kind of wish Wonho was promoting with them. At least he and Monsta X are still on good terms.

      Delete

Post a Comment