Review: ONF - My Genesis (Übermensch)

 

Review: ONF - My Genesis (Übermensch) 

ONF have slowly become one of the most experimental boy bands around. Sure, they still are pretty commercial overall, but their music rarely sounds like anything anyone else is releasing. Their new album, now repackaged is really strong. I missed reviewing The Realist or I.T.I.L.U. back in February, and I am reviewing My Genesis as almost a sort of compensation.

With a title like 'Ubermensch', I wonder if K-Pop is going back to trying philosophy, especially after OnlyOneOf garnered acclaim with a similar style recently. Small confession though, I am not of a Nietzche fan. Thankfully for me, My Genesis lyrically stays ambiguous enough that it feels fresh and rebellious, while never actually going too much against Nietzche. In fact, that is really the purpose of My Genesis, it feels like a joyous rebellion of having fun while talking about going against the flow. While I don't think this beats New World as far as ONF lyrics go, it is a close second.

My Genesis switches constantly between old-school jazz and rock, while maintaining a flow. The jazz segments of the verses have an almost coffee shop feel, just a lot eerier. This is the verses segment of the song. The big band feel of the verses is joyous, plucky, and old-school.

This leads into the chorus. Unlike in other songs that switch styles quickly, the melody is similar, and the trumpets provide a bridge. The chorus is electric rock fun. The guitar riff near the end of the song is particularly strong.

The main glue holding this song together is the vocal performance by all the members. I could hear almost no vocal processing here, and it rips forward like a bullet ready to explode. Even if the 'Ubermensch' hook sounds like a sneeze to me, it certainly works. Every vocal hook holds the song together.

ONF clearly are growing into one of K-Pop's most interesting current boy bands, and My Genesis feels like another piece in their development. I thought they peaked with Complete, then New World. And whole My Genesis fails to live up to those songs in any way, I have a feeling that ONF's peak has yet to come.

Rating: 8.75/10


Image Source: The Bias List

Comments

  1. Major SHINee vibes in this one, I really love the chorus. "Even if the 'Ubermensch' hook sounds like a sneeze to me" LOL! I can't unhear it now, rude!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry! Wish I could unhear it too... same with "Stupid and Swimming"...

      Hey! Maybe this is why everyone feels ONF are SHINee's successors, it is not only the similar sound, but both groups are kings of misheard lyrics, and pretty bad English lyrics!

      (has flashbacks to 'always break your naughty', 'Fantastic Elastic' and also want some coca cola)

      Delete
  2. After SHINee we can all agree that ONF is the next experimentation kings. For real though, their music has been the most creative, consistent and cohesive amongst K-Pop nowadays. This is a good sign that ONF is still a strong evolving artist. They are really gems. My Genesis cannot beat The Realist for me but it is strong though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure if My Genesis has beaten The Realist for me yet, but I love both a lot. SHINee and ONF both have really experimental gems for commercial idol pop.

      Delete

Post a Comment