Review: Oh My Girl - Dun Dun Dance


Review: Oh My Girl - Dun Dun Dance

Honestly, the hype for an Oh My Girl comeback has never been higher. They received a massive breakout with last year's two-punch of Dolphin and Nonstop. Plus, last September's solo debut of YooA just showed how talented she was, and boy was it a fantastic album. Plus, the teasers made me slightly hopeful they were returning to the fantastical concept of earlier.

So, they did not return the fantastical concept. Instead, Dun Dun Dance is a mix of funk and trap, two concepts that should not go well together. Of course, the A&R team behind OMG clearly knows what they are doing, so they actually pull it off better than expected.

The funky groove holds together most of the first verse, except for the pre-chorus, which opts for a trap section to work with Mimi and YooA. The segment works well with Mimi's lower voice, but YooA, who has a slightly higher voice, and is already at the higher end of her range (you know, because K-Pop girl groups), sounds a bit strained. She holds it together though, and it is only noticeable on subsequent listens.

The chorus is joyous and short. Hyojung and YooA have strong sections, but the star of the show is Seunghee's "Feel so high", which is one of the few moments in the song with some proper pitching, and knowledge of the singer's ability.

There are several trap breaks throughout the song, all end up being somewhat overused, especially when the lines are not given to Mimi, whose voice best suits that style. The final chorus also switches up the singers from their respective sections. It is a classic trick several songs have opted for before, and Dun Dun Dance is certainly one of the weaker examples of this, done almost purposelessly.

As this review suggests, I am somewhat disappointed by Oh My Girl's most recent comeback. But despite this, Dun Dun Dance is a solid song, just let down slightly by its artist's incredible discography. It also has its moments, such as the chorus, or the great backing vocals, making it at least a solid release.

Rating: 7.75/10


Image Source: K-Pop Database

Comments

  1. We have the same stance here. I wasn't really keen on this song by itself. Fortunately, the vocals saved the song. A clear trend in 2021 K-Pop I guess. 7.75 is spot on and yeah the trap break in unnecessary and makes it more incohesive. I mean congrats on OH MY GIRL's amazing return!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thoughts. Though I felt the trap segments could have went a lot worse.

      Delete
  2. Interesting how you added a picture from their Bungee era as the thumbnail lol. Also, I totally get you on the trap section with Mimi and YooA, that could have been executed better on YooA's part. I'm so glad Mimi is getting more parts lately. Maybe A&R felt bad about leaving her in the dust for so many years...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I just randomly search Google Images, find a decent image that should fit my frame, and embed it. If you go through my old posts, you will note that I chose some interesting picks, some even off the web now. I even changed some of them due to the terrible quality lol.

      Yeah, post-Queendom, Mimi is getting a lot more lines. And I am quite glad about that, just wish it was a little better integrated into the song at times.

      Delete

Post a Comment