Review: Highlight - Not The End

 

Review: Highlight - Not The End

When one thinks about the most legendary groups from K-Pop's late second-generation and early third-generation, Beast almost always comes up, and for good reason. Fiction is their generally undisputed masterpiece, but they have a long list of classics following in suit.

After losing one of their essential vocalists (and their most popular member) to a solo career, being forced to rebrand to Highlight after leaving a dictator-esque agency, entering mandatory military service, and losing a member as he was a total jerk, you'd think Highlight as a band would kick the bucket, but they have now become one of the ridiculously small lists of idol boy bands to make it out of military service in one piece, that too in the 11th year of their careers. Thus, it makes sense they would remind their audience and fans that it is 'Not The End' for them

Not The End sounds like something from the latter days of the extremely overused trend of tropical pop in K-Pop, reminiscent of a trendy release from 2018. This is not necessarily a bad thing, as Oneus tapped into the same style for last year's nostalgic Song Written Easily. Not The End fails to reach the same level of emotion said piece did but is solid nonetheless.

Lyrically, Not The End might qualify as a post-enlistment fan song, celebrating a return with a strong sentiment. Honestly, they deserve to celebrate after everything they have been through.

Musically, Not The End is split between the slow build of the verses and the tropical drop chorus. Both pair together surprisingly well, with a strong dose of refinement and maturity you can't really expect too much from artists with less experience. Sometimes, this refinement ends up diluting the emotion, which is surprising as emotion was the driving factor of the group's Beast days, but at least it shows a different side of the group.

When stacked against their many classics, Not The End is one of Beast/Highlight's weaker works, but it is solid nonetheless. The final chorus strengthens the arrangement while hearing their voices itself is great. Now, all I wish is they release something on Fiction's level.

Rating: 8.5/10


Image Source: The Bias List

Comments

  1. I'm surprised you really liked this release! For me yes I really dig how they are coming back now. I mean HIGHLIGHT is just a staple in the industry and they have been a strong group ever since time. But this is kind of lukewarm for me. I mean it really reminds me of some recent farewell songs in the 2018-19 Produce era. The temporary groups always end it with an EDM ballad of some sorts but well I guess this is better.

    HIGHLIGHT is just amazing and Yoseob as my bias never fails to surprise me with vocals. This is a very HIGHLIGHT approach that I've been missing. Good luck to them and more success!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yoseob is indeed a great vocalist!

      Haha, it does sound like a Produce farewell song a la 2018. But I guess that Highlight's experience, and the strong melody sell it for me.

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you enjoyed this! I love the song despite its shortcomings and I've been so spoiled with with all this Highlight content & them guesting everywhere that it feels incredible.

    "they deserve to celebrate after everything they have been through" exactly! ☆

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the late reply, yesterday was pretty busy for me.

      I know, so much Highlight variety appearances. My favorite one by them is still from years ago though, when they 'covered' Beast's Fiction, totally goofed up, and were made fun by the MCs for ruining senior group Beast's legacy lol.

      Delete

Post a Comment