Review: WOODZ (Choi Seung-Yoon) - Feel Like

 

Review: WOODZ (Choi Seung-Yoon) - Feel Like

Make no mistake, Choi Seung-Yoon, also known as WOODZ, has a very trendy signature sound. It is very western. Normally that would be a complaint, but over here, it is not. Seung-Yoon writes his own material, and his work has always felt authentic. In fact, it is frustrating that no major critic is yet geeking out over his sound.

2020 was a massive year of growth for him. His albums were great, with excellent songs like Accident, Noid, Bump Bump, and many others. He also continued to show the fact that he is a massive singer and rapper. No wonder he made it into X1.

Feel Like is almost all about that pulsating bass at its core. Seung-Yoon's groovy voice works great with this. This leads to a chorus driven by one instrument, a surging, edgy, electric guitar. Not all singer-songwriter-producers (of the few that they are) would know how to make this work, but Seung-Yoon knows how to do this.

In fact, Feel Like seems like it was created as a showcase of WOODZ's talents. He switches between producer, singer, and rapper often, without ever involving himself in any too much. This does hold the song back, but not too much. This is peak vibe.

Rating: 8.5/10


Image Source: Seoulbeats

Comments

  1. Well, fortunately for me. I have somewhat grown over the song. At first I really didn't like it as I felt the guitars were too overkill and overemphasized but the song is an ultimate grower. Sure it might really be on the 8 mark for me but at least I kind of get the energy and the creative accentuations of WOODZ. This song was just taking a long time to load for my very weird taste, apparently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, WOODZ's songs tend to be growers for me too.

      Delete
  2. I hope my comment doesn't get posted twice cause it keeps not loading sigh. Must be my horrible mountain WiFi.

    I'm so glad you like this! I love that he keeps doing his own thing, he seems to know exactly what suits him and knows how to make it work. I'm always hoping for something like Different again, but this is great too like a mixture of his previous two albums.

    I still listen to Accident and Lift Up like nothing else was released since though haha. I adore those two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice new blogger profile!

      So far your comment has only posted once, but I know the issue, it has happened to me online WAY too many times (mumbles incoherently about how done he is with the re-posting comments, especially when they are supposed to be funny).

      Actually, you and Lina's post on WOODZ (The artist spotlight) made me a fan of Accident. Thanks!

      Delete
    2. Good haha! I kept pressing but it would just delete it again and again. Oh God, I honestly completely forgot I set up Blogger for easier commenting, I kept doing everything manually. [face palm] I've upgraded now, tho, yay lol!

      Wow, that makes me so happy! Really glad you dived deeper into his artistry then, he's a breath of fresh air.

      Delete
    3. Creating a profile easing works a lot. Funnily enough, I prefer commenting on Wordpress without an account. Maybe I am just weird lol. Glad to see you upgrade!

      He really is a breath of fresh air!

      Delete

Post a Comment