Review: WayV - Kickback

 

Review: WayV - Kickback

WayV have slowly become one of my favorite NCT units. Their style combines Yoo Young-Jin-esque SMP, trendy hip-hop, choir vocal moments, TVXQ rock, NCT minimalist hip-hop, dance-pop, C-Pop trap, sci-fi beats, future genre K-Pop, and classic SM harmonies. Turn Back Time was one of my favorite songs from last year. Kickback is held back from that level of quality due to several issues, but it is solid nonetheless.

The verses are basically NCT hip-hop without much variation. While I enjoy this style, and NCT certainly have nailed it, there are many, many, better examples of its use in the group's discography.

In an age where pre-chorus's are shortened to make room for the more dramatic moments, it is so good to hear a full-length pre-chorus. It also allows WayV's vocalist to show their skills.

The chorus has a good beat, but is hurt by the absurd hook. I admire the guys' fortitude for not laughing because they are acting bad-ass and edgy while singing "We got that kick kick kick kick back, you know we did did did did did that". Thankfully, the vocal harmonies in the second half add much-needed strength to the song.

As always, we get a great pre-chorus. Once again, it is slightly expanded, letting us enjoy WayV's vocal skills. The rest of the song is NCT by the numbers, with the same beat. Thankfully, the high-note near the end is so good, and I can even forgive the weird breakdown near the end due to this.

Rating: 8/10


Image Source: WaoFam

Comments

  1. This is the only NCT release that I find fun and interesting since 2019. 2020 as a whole felt like a huge disappointment for me in their sound. RIDIN was the only exception in the 2020 run. NCT Dream and WayV are really the ones I find to be saving the NCT sound. Congrats to WayV and I hope for more amazing singles!

    By the way, what did you feel about Young Blood? I actually didn't like it at first, but now I absolutely got sucked. I just can't remove it from playing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, because my favorite 2020 NCT release was WayV's Turn Back Time.

      I can't seem to get into Young Blood. The mixing is off, and there are a million better and less trendy options of Deep House. Hopefully it'll grow, but it has yet to do so in any capacity.

      Delete
    2. Yes! I am in absolute agreement with you. The chorus for me at first was not really there. The arrangement was also weird. But I guess due to persistent and very amazing readers I have managed to make it through? I do not still know where it will land in the long term.

      Delete
    3. Hopefully good!

      Yeah, blog reader opinions often can end up changing your opinion on a song. So many articulate people!

      Delete

Post a Comment