Review: BEYOOOOONDS - This is not how I pictured myself

 

Review: BEYOOOOONDS - This is not how I pictured myself

Whoo, did you know BEYOOOOONDS has five zeros, I had to count that for this review!

Anyway, of all their new singles, This is not how I pictured myself is the only one that captured my attention. And that is not at all due to the song, it is due to the excellent lyrical and MV choices, it is quite funny. It spoofs the song itself. It starts with the members complaining about how idol life is different than what they expected, as well as them dissing this song itself for its weird lyrics. And a lot of places they are probably puns that non-Japanese speaking me missed. It eventually ends with the members noting that this gives commercial success (or they could be spoofing their song, The boy with the glasses).

This tongue-in-cheek style is the main thing in this song, and is a driving force. The members clearly are not great vocalists yet (or this song is not in their main range), but their impromptu-style delivery really seals the deal.

On the other hand, the actual song is as generic as can be. It is very... J-Popish. This can be a great thing, but it is not like we have not heard this type of song a gazillion times before. Admittedly, the lyrics are the main thing here, so it is somewhat hard to judge this song when I can't speak Japanese at all.

Even then, the group has got my attention. They have a diverse set of members, and a real fun style, and I hope to see where they go next.

Rating: 7.25/10


Image Source: Around Topics

Comments