Flashback Review: Ninety One - Mooz

 

Flashback Review: Ninety One - Mooz

Year Released: 2017

The most important factor of a good song is that must tell a good story. While their edgy, posturing, trap hip-hop style is totally opposite of my personal taste, Q-Pop legends Ninety One can definitely tell a good story. They also have a ridiculously talented line-up. While it was an OST to a movie about their career (made two years after debut, yes they have that sort of influence in their native Kazakhstan), Mooz might actually go on to be their defining classic, at least in my mind.

The lyrics are actually pretty great. It is about seeking inspiration and not giving up, while also reflecting on criticism. This fits pretty well with Ninety One's journey. Where they faced heavy backlash for 'corrupting youth'.

The song starts with a tropical loop, which actually is quite invigorating (it is joined by a flute), and Bala singing. Technically speaking, Ninety One's members are middling in vocal talent, but just like G-Dragon, they have the amazing ability to push emotion through their singing. Due to their hip-hop tunes, they often cannot show it, but they can sing.

After composer/member Alem gets a shot at the pre-chorus, Ace comes in for the chorus. The chorus is perhaps the greatest moment in Ninety One's discography. Alem's pleading yet peaceful voice here is a great choice. It is dreamy, while the instrumental choices support it greatly.

Zaq also conveys his emotion greatly through his rap. When the pre-chorus comes again, unchanged, it can give chills simply due to the emotion, same with the chorus.

AZ's rap style can be extremely grating and takes a while to get used to. But if you like it, he does a great job with the rap here.

We then get a coda, where the members' unique vocal styles come together, blending well. Closing like a dream, both good and bad.

Rating: 9.25/10


Image Source: Astana Times

Comments

  1. Wow! This is a big improvement from their other single. I will really listen to this. Q-Pop is an interesting genre. It is like a mix of Traditional/Classical/Opera but it feels modern enough. I really love that those are the core foundations of Q-Pop. 91 surely deserves a round of applause.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually this is from 2017!

      I love how classical elements are so integral to Q-Pop, it is something they should keep, instead of trying to go too trendy (I am looking at you, Dimash's Golden and Ninety One's Senorita). I think Mooz is 91's peak, but they have many great songs from their early years.

      True, they certainly deserve applause.

      Delete
    2. Oh really? Well, that means they have a really well-rounded singles run then. Doing not-so well music in the present isn't bad if you have a very well polished singles run before it. That's good for them at least! Many modern songs tend to grow after many years.

      Delete
    3. True, almost all their songs (including Senorita) have grown on me quite a bit. That is why I did not review their December single, I hoped it would grow on me (it actually has fallen so far)!

      Delete
  2. May I ask you a question, 108 Ent. Have you heard Husavik - My Home Town from Eurovision?

    Many film critics that I know who specializes in Oscar predictions have regarded that as a song that may be nominated for an Oscar. It was snubbed from the Golden Globes they even said. I listened to that song and to my surprise it was actually good, it even deserves to have a review.

    What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely heard it. Good song, but I never got too much into it. It actually is not from Eurovision, but a movie about Eurovision!

      Definitely has a chance at the Oscars, as the movie was somewhat popular (never personally watched it though), and it also garnered pretty decent acclaim. Still, I doubt it is the most deserving title. Two songs in my top 10 (Across Endless Dimensions and Samajavaragamana) were soundtracks, and definitely worthy of winning. I still hold some hope Dimash gets nominated. Still, I think Husavik somewhat deserves a nomination, not a full win though.

      Delete
    2. Oh! Thanks for clarifying that. I really am naive about Eurovision but I've heard of it many times. Thanks for introducing to me many amazing European artists with it.

      Dimash is basically unknown with the Recording Academy, AMPAS, HFPA, hell even the major critics. I really hope next time, they campaign for him very hard. He really deserves it.

      By the way, I'm opening an International category in the Insider Awards and the Indie Noise. I would love to make you the main person for that category. But only if you're ok with it. Also, a Japanese category is launching in all major awards.

      Delete
    3. Actually, I am pretty sure you know more about Eurovision than like 90% of the Asian music critics at least!

      True, I hope Dimash wins with anything, as long as it is better than Golden (which I wrote a review to, publishing tomorrow).

      Great new award idea! Totally fine with it :)

      Delete

Post a Comment