Album Review: Dreamcatcher - Road to Utopia

Dreamcatcher performing at the Incheon Songdo Cruise Fireworks Festival, April 2019 (from left: Siyeon, JiU, Dami, Yoohyeon, Gahyeon, SuA and Handong)
By Source, CC BY-SA 4.0, Link, Wikimedia

 Album Review: Dreamcatcher - Road to Utopia

Dreamcatcher has come back with a new Edenary produced mini-album. Instead of reviewing simply the title track, I am going to review the whole album. Despite being a fan of the group, I get the feeling that after the first part of the Dystopia series, they lost the steam they built in 2019. It will be interesting if this reignites interest in the group for me.

Intro

Since this is an intro, I can't count it for the overall score, but it is electrifying. Like, the best moment ever written by Edenary. I hope that just like Stray Kids' Stop, this gets a full version, then we will have a true song of the year nominee.

Odd Eye

While it has grown on me, Odd Eye is perhaps the weakest Dreamcatcher title track since What in 2018. Lyrically talking about imperfection and falling, something I am not sure I want to correlate with in the pandemic. Thankfully, the straightforward rock chorus is great. While good, it lacks any stand-out hook or moment, something rare for Dreamcatcher. A slow grower, I still doubt it will go further. The chorus misses a golden opportunity, playing it way too safe with the chord progression.

On another note, compared to the great story from the first two MVs from this trilogy, the outfit and MV quality has dropped, and that too pretty drastically.

Rating: 7.75/10

Wind Blows

The strings and piano stand-out in this much more diverse rock production. The verses scream song of the year, driven by perfect ambition. The chorus, on the other hand, plays it safe, sounding like 2017 Dreamcatcher. Thankfully, the instrumental breakdown near the end of the song is really strong. Wind Blows is a hard song to review, for it is great, but could have been better. I wonder how often I will come back to it, and I am doubtful.

Rating: 8.5/10

Poison Love

Dreamcatcher has a long history of strong electronic b-sides, peaking with legendary songs such as Silent Night and Sleep-Walking. Unlike many others, I was much less impressed by the jarring drop of In the Frozen. Poison Love is pretty much Dreamcatcher by the numbers, until the golden chorus. The instrumental here is perfect, and Dami (I think, perhaps SuA or Yoohyeon at points) has a voice that works great with the trance instrumental here. This all culminates in a great high-note and instrumental drop. It took me quite long to get around to it, but Poison Love is easily my favorite song on the album.

Rating: 8.75/10

4 Memory

When I saw the title, I was hoping the song would be a tribute to F(x)'s modern classic 4 Walls. unfortunately, 4 Memory has an instrumental stuck with 2017 trends. It is not good that I quite literally was able to predict the song's every moment on the first listen. The girls give it their all, but it is hard to ignore how by-the-numbers the song is. At least the occasional strings, high-note, and guitars are good.

Rating: 7/10

New Days

This song sounds like an anime soundtrack. While that means it is generic, it fits Dreamcatcher perfectly. The chorus, in particular, has some great vocal moments.

Rating: 7.5/10


Overall Score: 8/10*

A great album, and definitely one of the best from this month. Dreamcatcher has yet to top Tree of Language or Raid of Dream. But still, Road to Utopia is great.

* Rounded rating, the actual rating is 7.9.

Comments

  1. Yes, they really have yet to top the definitive 2020 Album of the Year in South Korea. Although yes, everybody in my awards circuit robbed it to win. But hey, it was nominated all the time. Even the media/press loved it. I even said it was the #2 best album in South Korea. I regret doing all of those by the way. It should've won. I hate myself.

    Road to Utopia is still yet to enter my ears. But I have high expectations from it. Seeing you rated it an 8. I think we might have the same rating. So I will definitely be pumped up.

    Anyway, what did you think of Cinema? Sorry I'm asking this twice now. I really wanted to know what you think of it. But if you did a review. I will just happily wait for it. Cinema is really a strong R&B track. Probably one of the best R&B in this decade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, Dystopia was one of last year's best albums, though actually MOTS is pretty good, and I can see why you gave it number one.

      As for Cinema, I am unsure what to think as of yet. Not a fan of the vocal twisting, but love the retro chorus, a great earworm. Not sure if I will review it, but probably a flat 8 or something like that for me at the moment. I don't like it perhaps as much as everyone else seems to, but it is pretty, pretty good.

      Delete
    2. Oh, well that is great! I love seeing differing opinions. Since I already expected Cinema to receive such a trait. But I kind of agree on you on those flats. Most of the song's strength relies on the chorus and while the verses are great they are not as good as the chorus. It seems to be very repetitive too for others.

      I'm glad it wasn't as bad as I thought for you. Cinema sounds like some EXO song that was scrapped last minute. Well that is some of CIX for me. But I really adore what they did here. It was a great critical bait as what I would say. Now it is neck and neck with Burn It.

      Delete
    3. Funny you mention it, as almost all CIX title tracks feel like songs rejected but created for EXO. I have enjoyed all their stuff, but never loved anything. Anyway, this makes me hopeful that we get a MAMA 2.0

      Delete
    4. By the way, did you notice a change in my review style? I decided to focus on the positives first and as much as possible bash the song less but more honestly and point where improvements are needed. I also revised my introduction by introducing what genre the song is and describing it a little.

      What do you think? Should I go back or should I stick to this new format?

      Delete
    5. I like the new format just a bit more than the old. Honestly, both are great. Your reviews have gotten much better since the December and I really enjoy them. Depending on the song, you can use different styles.

      Nice update StillBangtan :)

      Delete
    6. Thanks! I really hope for MAMA 2.0. Just please give it to us!

      Delete
    7. If they don't, they are careless, careless, heartless, mindless

      Sorry, could not resist lol.

      Delete
  2. Yan Here!

    There is one reason why I don't like anime-sounding songs. I do appreciate the emotion imbued to them but the thing is, they don't offer a fleshed out melody.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, that is the issue with several anime imitators.

      Thankfully, a lot of actual anime songs are built on melody, such as Spyair's recent modern classic Wadachi.

      Delete
    2. Of course that SOTY! It is just impeccably amazing. Deserves every praise it can get.

      Delete
  3. This is somehow my first time listening to the album haha, I completely forgot to check it out. I'm still not a fan of the title but wow, Poison Love is super interesting! It reminds me so much of early 2010s Romanian electro music (times when Inna was on top of her game) which is a style I haven't heard in quite a while. I really like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoy the album!

      Never heard of the Romanian electro music scene, seems like a new rabbit hole for me to fall into!

      Delete

Post a Comment