Top 10 Artists of 2020

 


Top 10 Artists of 2020



2020 was a year where some of my favorite artists from the last past few years (BTS, TVXQ, and NCT) underwhelmed. On the other hand, new favorites arose in the Johnny's groups, Japanese indie artists, and a Kazakh superstar breaking out for me. Still, 2020 had some artists dominating, and I wonder where they will go later.


Finally, I excluded rookies from the countdown as I have a different countdown for them. But if I had included them, SixTONES would make it in at number 9.


Honorable Mentions:

SuperM

NCT

BTS

SB19

King & Prince

Golden Child

Jaejoong

Yonezu Kesnshi

YOASOBI

Exile Tribe






10. Dua Lipa

Image Source: Green Wave Gazette

Dua Lipa makes this list not just because of her releases (of which, nothing has yet to peak Don't Start Now), but because of her massive influence in setting the retro trend of 2020. I mean, Future Nostalgia sets a new bar for modern mainstream American album. Her attempts to remix her own tracks were middling, but at least she tried at that.



9. TXT (Tomorrow X Together)

Image Source: Rolling Stone India

 

I did not realize how good TXT's 2020 was until I compiled my Top Songs of 2020 list, and realized that they had a great 2020. I blame my ignorance on their inconsistent discography, which had some great and middling songs this year. Still, Blue Hour, Drama, Everlasting Shine, and Ghosting stand as some of the best songs this year.



8. Official Hige Dandism

Image Source: Higedan

 Higedan were responsible for my favorite song of 2020 in Laughter. It dominated their 2020, easily being a modern classic. That does not mean the rest of their 2020 was dull, as they released a solid mini-album. Perhaps the most impressive thing about Higedan is they became popular and viral because of good music, and are maintaining popularity through unique and good releases. It is a classic style rarely seen in modern times, but Higedan is a group that is known for its timeless releases.



7. Sexy Zone

Image Source: The Bias List

 After years of being that immature Johnny's group with a terrible name, Sexy Zone finally got their act together in 2020. Pop X Step may not have fully been heard by me yet, but from what I heard, it is a great start to the year. They peaked their discography with Run, a modern masterpiece and one of 2020's most acclaimed songs, surging with emotion and energy. Finally, they are together as five once again, ready to dominate 2021 as well.

 


6. Dreamcatcher

Image Source: Kpop Wiki

 Dreamcatcher had a prolific 2020, with hardly a month going by without some promotional activity or the other for the group. Member Handong participated in a Chinese competition show, giving the group some clout in the region (Handong also got a solo debut, but the mixing was pretty bad, I think the song would sound great live, though). Meanwhile, Siyeon's Korean debut was one of my favorite's from 2020. Their first full-length album was one of the year's best, and Scream finally gave them that recognition they needed. Critics finally took note of the group's unique style, while they also released a great EP, letting them have an excellent 2020. I credit this to their increasing involvement in song development, and their partnership with production team Edenary. And the members of course.



5. Reol

Image Source: Asian Jamss

When it comes to dream 2020 partnerships, Reol and her producer Giga may top. Reol herself released a studio album this year, before topping her early year efforts with The Sixth Sense and Q?. Not only did both of those songs make my top 50, but they were also successful. In fact, commercially and critically, this was Reol's big year of expansion. The future looks bright from here.




4. Arashi

Image Source: Arama Japan

Farewells are always bitter-sweet. Unfortunately, Japan had several farewells this year. Unfortunately, my favorite AAA and LDH's E-Girls' farewells were wrecked due to the pandemic. Thankfully, Arashi made it right through the pandemic. Though their tours were canceled, they gave us a steady flow of music. This is Arashi was one of my favorite 2020 albums, and Kite one of my favorite singles. Several of their songs invoked feelings of nostalgia. Unfortunately, they got hit badly by several of their English singles. Which, with the exception of Whenever you Call, were underwhelming. I don't get it. Whenever a story ends, introducing a style or new genre which the writers are not familiar with is always a bad idea. Arashi did their best with the new genres, though I wish we got more classic Arashi. Thankfully, every moment of classic Arashi we got was worth it, and their discography finally being on streaming platforms was additionally amazing.




3. Dimash Kudaibergen

Image Source: Dimash Dostar

Dimash was let down by his lack of a 2020 album. Still, if you combined the material he released this year into an album, then you have a pretty incredible album. His material is still driven by his vocal prowess to a massive degree, and he is perhaps the best vocalist active at the moment. He had two songs in my top 10, an incredible feat. His high-note neat the end of Across Endless Dimensions is one of the year's most thrilling moments, same with Your Love's whistle moment. His partnership with Igor Krutoy is thrilling, and I am curious to see where it goes further. Overall, there is a reason he is slowly becoming a modern legend.

 



2. Sid Sriram


Clearly, Sidharth "Sid" Sriram is not buying the idea that Indian music is going through a bad patch. In 2019, he proved he was a full-fledged singer in his own right, and in 2020, he proved that he is the modern king of Indian music. Samajavaragamana and Neeli Neeli Aakasam is all he needed to guarantee a spot on the list, but he snuck this high due to the consistent quality of the songs he sang, as well as how his voice shaped each of these with a unique style.




 


1. Miyavi

Image Source: Chokkanteki

I mean, who else would top? Miyavi had an incredible 2020, releasing the massive Holy Nights album, one of my favorites from the year. It is about as good as his 2013 album Miyavi, and that is high praise. His wild rock style is now more refined and controlled, while still keeping the bombast of his debut days. The surging chorus from Bang might be one of the year's best moments, musical or otherwise. In fact, Bang is the first instant 10 for me since 2014! That does not mean the rest of his 2020 was dull. Need for Speed is surging in its speed, hitting that old, missing, rock style. At the same time, B-Sides such as Danger Danger and Heaven is a Place on Earth let him show different sides of his music. His rock-riff version of Somewhere over the Rainbow truly was unique while authentic. Truly, Miyavi lighted up one of the worst years in modern times with his fantastic music.


Comments

  1. A very well picked and critically conscious list! This is the perfect list in the world of 2020! Although I would say I definitely loved BTS, Kenshi, and even shut myself from ever listening to SM. 2020 would be a weird but still great year for what's to come in music.

    Miyavi being #1 was well-deserved. You see, I know him for his socially conscious acts with the UN and his amazing guitar manipulations. Miyavi was technically 2020's most profound artist. Having DREAMCATCHER and TXT represent K-Pop is indeed correct. What a factual list this is.

    Still, I hope 2021 would be greater for K-Pop! I still have that will to root for that genre. I've given up on ABC Pop a lock time ago. Even, ABC Rock. Japan and Korea, hell Asia made me go back to those and just laugh at how underperformed most ABC music is. Very uninspiring.

    I also have a surprise post coming up on January 29! It's a genre I always wanted to cover but I am afraid no one even knows what that genre is. Or does it even exist? Anyways, just watch out! It's from Southeast Asia by the way and it starts with a P!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the list!

      Miyavi was my personal star of the year. He just really saved the first half of 2020 (almost) with his Holy Nights album.

      I think BTS and Kenshi could have made it into the list had I split the list per genres, which many do, but I prefer to do things as a whole.

      True, I think I nearly always review Asian music because that is where the good stuff is. ABC pop had an inceasing influence on my listening in 2020, and I hope it somehow gets better.

      Ooh, I will look forward to the post. By Southeast Asian are you including the Indian subcontinent, which is technically not Southeast Asia but I have seen it included before.

      Starts with a P, maybe Thailand's Piphat? Or P-Pop from the Philipines (I think SB19 just came back, they deserve more attention)? Or, is it Pinpeat from Cambodia? I am curious to what it is!!

      Delete
    2. Well you've said it already! Finally, I thought I was the only one who knew about that genre. No critic has ever explored that genre so I find it very saddening to review it.

      SB19 is just great, well not really the best in Asia, but I stan them. Go Up was simply the Philippines' best pop song in decades, ever, since Ryan Cayabyab stopped producing (he is whom I consider the Sweetune of the Philippines).

      I hope this new debut will spark a new interest in the world of our music. Please be good. (It is because their label is trash and only produce bland, generic music).

      Delete
    3. Oops, sorry for spoiling it!

      SB19 so deserve more attention, Go Up and Alab are so great. I think I may review their new song. It is not there best, but it is still pretty fine. I am so happy I am not the only ones who know them.

      Fun fact, they are produced by a Korean, Han Tae-Soo. But I guess you probably knew that.

      I do not know Fillipino music history unfortunately (yet), could you recommend me some Ryan Cayabyab songs?

      I have the same feeling. Idol P-Pop is so new, it could go either way, just like Q-Pop. Hopefully both find the success they deserve.

      Delete
    4. Well, yes for SB19 I already knew that.

      I am a Filipino and yes I really hope P-Pop is going forward to be a new and rising genre similar to what K-Pop and J-Pop has experienced, although it might take some time (hell even 40 years)!

      Well, Ryan Cayabyab makes such timeless hits that never fade! For example: Kumukutikutitap (A very christmassy song) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdDSIO_quKU), Kay Ganda ng Ating Musika (a Filipino pride song) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTOMLJmj0Ow), and his latest creation BINI's Da Coconut Nut (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZfeW9WDwmA) (it's a wacky song and probably you will dislike it but it is actually very good!)

      Delete
    5. You are right on the coconut song, not for me.

      I think the good thing about P-Pop starting now, is that there are probably great songs to look forward to. Think of a potential Fillipino H.O.T or TVXQ or Infinite.

      But boy, Kay Ganda Ng Ating Musika is real good! In fact, I instantly had to check out more songs by Hajji Alejandro. I was not able to find anything equally as good, but he has a solid discography. Musika is probably my favorite Fillipino song so far!

      Great new musical world to check out, thanks StillBangtan!

      Delete
    6. Your welcome! I loved that you enjoyed that song, to be honest when I was a kid I used to despise that song because it was so radio-played every second for like years.

      Fun fact, that song won the 1st Metro Manila Popular Music Festival in 1978 (that festival is now extinct, well sadly since many hits were published there), but the public bashed the song and instead praised another artist which would go and become the critics' picks in the 100 Best OPM Songs of All-time (here is the list, https://www.thewilyfilipino.com/poplist.htm).

      That is Anak by Freddie Aguilar (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n-2lPzH7Do). The lyrics of that song is such impeccable that until now critics still discuss it and is being used on government protests here.

      You should check Ryan's album, One! It is impeccable, so many classics are in here.

      Delete
    7. I'm so sorry you should just check all the songs in One on YouTube for their original singers since that album is an a cappella release, there is no instrumentation in the tracks. It's sad the great Ryan had to produce with just only a $6,000 budget. Now, he is the National Artist of the Philippines.

      Delete
    8. Will checkout the Ryan album!

      Lol I think we all have a song overplayed to the point of dislike. For me, I think that would probably be something recent, as I love all old classics.

      Will check out the Metro Manilla award winners, maybe I'll discover a classic or two.

      Ooh Anak is great, love the orchestral touches through the piece. I think it is my new favorite Filipino piece lol. Any suggestions for his discography to check out after Anak.

      Once again, thanks StillBangtan!

      Delete

Post a Comment