Review: Nogizaka46 - Boku wa Boku wo Suki ni Naru

Members of Nogizaka46 performing on stage
By Wikimedia, CC BY-SA 2.0, Link

Review: Nogizaka46 - Boku wa Boku wo Suki ni Naru

Nogizaka46 are new to my radar, and I know them best for last year's Route 46. But after a quick look, I realized how expansive and strong their discography is. Synchronicity and Anastasia are great starts to their discography. They quickly became my favorite Japanese giant girl group, for their classic pop sound.

I wish I knew who the producer and songwriter for Boku wa Boku wo Suki ni Naru is, for they did a great job at building the atmosphere. Another self-love song, Boku does not try too many tricks.

The verses build with a simple instrumental, though violins and guitars do occasionally sneak through. There is nothing complicated through the whole instrumental, and that is its strength. It is uplifting and building through the whole track, and never switches its goal. Even the violins and drums are just used to further the sound rather than create diversions.

Normally I would complain that the instrumentation and chord-progression are playing safe, and it is. But still, this is with purpose and feels like classic and simple pop.

Of course, I wish that the sing-talk in the verses was reduced, it proves distracting. Plus. I feel at times in the verses that the girls' voices were used in the wrong places, often appearing too high-pitched. This also pushes the instrumentation down, make it feel more generic.

The chorus is amazing, the true heart of the song. The vocals are perfectly harmonized, and the violins and bell-like percussion make the anthemic sound feel even more true. The chorus is great, and truly the song's best moment.

This all culminates in an excellent key change, driving the song home. This new song may not be perfect, but from the solid lyrics to the chorus, this is a winner.

Rating: 8.75/10

Comments

  1. Of course the critically-acclaimed rival of AKB48! Fun fact, Synchronicity won the Japan Record Awards Grand Prix. I will review this later though! I feel like this is an early hit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the late reply, busy day.

      I so much preferthe 46 family to the 48. Probably just me, but I feel their discography is at least themed and consistent.

      Glad Synchronity won, great song.

      Will look forward to your review :)

      Delete
    2. Oh no worries. The JRAs is the Japanese equivalent of the GRAMMYs and the nearest rival to the KMAs in Korea. EXILE is like The Beatles there winning 4 Record of the Years'. I really love the JRA but this year they went with LiSA in my review. Hell they didn't even nominate SixTONES, or SEXY ZONE! At least Kenshi Yonezu has won Album of the Year though.

      Yes, the 46 is very well done than the 48!

      Delete
    3. True, Kenshi had a great album, even if I personally preferred Miyavi's.

      Glad you agree with me on the 46 vs. 48 competition :)

      Delete

Post a Comment