Review: Baekhyun - Get You Alone

Delight - cover.jpg
By Source (WP:NFCC#4), Fair use, Link, Wikimedia

 Review: Baekhyun - Get You Alone

I rarely have talked about it, but I was a massive EXO fan back when they debuted. They basically saved my interest in music. In the group, main vocalist Baekhyun's vocal performance was always a treat to check out.

Years later, Baekhyun finally debuted solo, and he has instantly become extremely successful (I named him the "Crown Prince of the Korean Idol Solo Scene" in my review for Taemin's Criminal). To me, the most important thing for a song is to know what it wants to be. And Baekhyun's debut UN Villiage achieved this. It was an unambitious R & B song, but it knew what it wanted to be, and thus succeeded. Follow-up Candy was fine, but it lacked the identity to beat UN Village. Baekhyun's new Japanese song Get You Alone wants to be a funky, fun, and flirtatious piece of trendy disco. If I give one this description, they would say that this is an EXO-CBX song, and indeed, it does sound like that. I am not sure this is good, with all units and solos of EXO, each got a signature style. I wished each stuck to their own style, but 1/3rd of EXO-CBX is in the military, and it somewhat makes sense for Baekhyun to take up their style.

Anyway, Baekhyun nails this style pretty well. His vocal skills are sharp and high and work with funk. It also seems that Baekhyun gives his all in the performance. The song is somewhat unambitious and does not let him rip out the high-notes he made a name on. This is where my biggest issue with the song is, it does nothing new or challenging. It is an easy listen, but does it do anything worth letting it enter the playlist ahead of the dozens of other songs in the same style?

A good example of what the song should have done is seen in EXO-CBX's Hey Mama. It too is a fun dance song, but it uses its artists' strength to the max, allowing each of them to do something unique. It also focuses on a build, rather than the aimless wandering of Get You Alone.

Though only for a few days (hopefully), Get You Alone is, at the moment, the best 2021 song. It is far from perfect and lacks longevity, but is an easy and fun listen.

Rating: 7.25/10

Comments

  1. well I agree with you although I would say my score is a tad bit higher, I'll post it together with other songs on the 9th so check it out.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment