Mini Song Reviews (Hoppippola, KEEMBO, SKE48, Lex, Sigma)

 

Mini Song Reviews (Hoppippola, KEEMBO, SKE48, Lex, Sigma)

Hoppippola - Your Ocean

The basic structure is the same as any Korean OST over the last past 10 years. Thankfully, the cello and guitar add uniqueness to this song. The guitar and cello breakdown is a great moment, while the lyrics certainly deserve praise. While not perfect, Hoppippola are finally on my radar thanks to this song.

Rating: 8.25/10

KEEMBO - Love Me 4 Me

'Chill' is not how I would describe my favorite songs, but Love Me 4 Me nails this sentiment. Boa and Bohyung are compelling vocalists, and the Sweetune-written R&B jazz beat is great. It may not peak last year's Scandalous, but it certainly is a great song nonetheless.

Rating: 8.75/10

SKE48 - Koichi Flag

I don't think I mentioned it anywhere, but I am somewhat turned off by the 48 groups. Maybe it is the fact that they are used more as cheerleaders rather than actual artists (in contrast to the 46 artists). Thankfully though, Koichi Flag is actually quite solid. The strings through the song are great with the theme, and the verses provide just enough guitar to keep things up (not to forget, there are some great backing vocals). The chorus is somewhat awkward, as well as the shouting, though the violins keep the thing together (minus the terrible "That's the flag" and other English-language hooks).

Rating: 8.25/10

Lex - Sip

Lex was not part of Bigflo years after their initial golden days, though he was with them during their Unit days. Sip has some tropical-pop elements in it and is the definition of generic K-Pop. Though, to its benefit, it knows what it wants to be.

Rating: 6.75/10

Sigma - Higher

Former Bigflo member and Unit participant Z-UK is part of this group. It is sad, the group has no budget whatsoever, and instead of an MV or digital release, the song is part of a 37-minute video, which is probably why the views are so pathetically low. It is sad because Higher is a piece of 2010s EDM. This means it has that unneeded cheese, but some elements are pretty great in this song.

The song starts around 10:35

Rating: 7.25/10


Image Source: Seoul Beats

Comments

  1. I might check out some of this! This is exciting.

    My P-Pop post is already out! What did you think about their debut? https://deforestedmusic.wordpress.com/2021/01/29/track-spotlight-the-light-bgyo/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great song and review StillBangtan! I gave some thoughts on the song in my comment :)

      I actually have written a review of Alab, but wanted you as the more knowledgeable writer on P-Pop to publish your review first. The Alab review is coming out tomorrow.

      Delete
  2. Oh that is bewilderingly awesome!

    And oh, I'm not a such knowledgeable writer on P-Pop. But I'll take that maybe I'm the first to really review on it. ALAB is a great song, has a good melody and a strong hook. Although at first listen it was just not for my preferential taste.

    I'm excited what your thoughts are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually too found Alab generic at first. Thankfully, it grew on me slowly, slowly. I don't think it is the best P-Pop song in recent times that I have heard, but it is a great intro to the world.

      Will look forward to more P-Pop reviews from you!

      Delete

Post a Comment