Flashback Review: SB19 - Alab (Bunrning)

 

Flashback Review: SB19 - Alab (Burning)

This new feature is where I review songs that were released earlier and not eligible for new reviews. But still, deserve a review.

It seems somewhat anticlimactic to start a massive feature with a song from about a year ago, but I thought it would be good to talk about Alab as it is about a year old.

SB19 is a P-Pop group, pioneering modern pop music in the Philippines. Now that is not to say the Philippines does not have a large music history (it does), but it does not have idol pop such as the style from China, Japan, Korea, or Kazakhstan. I actually wanted to talk about this group for a while, but I felt there was no audience. Thankfully, a recent comments discussion proved otherwise. Thus, I finally am reviewing a song from them.

SB19's producer is Korean, and the intro before this song is in Korean, so it is evident where the instrumentation owes its roots. That said, Alab's instrumental root is a better version of what K-Pop producers are currently trying. It is light-hearted and trendy but never loses the energy at its root.

The trendy electronic loop is fun but never weak. The members' vocal performance, however, is more Q-Pop than K-Pop. Of course, it never gets Ninety One level gritty, though the messy vocal performance gives it charms. In fact, several elements of this song remind me of my favorite Ninety One song Mooz, though the song is somewhat different in intent.

The chorus of this song is a standout moment. It is light-hearted, yet strong. The members' voices come together well, while the fact we are not thrown in a trap rap right after seels the deal.

Definitely not the greatest Filippino song of all time, but a good one nonetheless. Alab was amongst my top 150 before I began the eliminating. A solid pop song, it makes me curious where P-Pop will go next. Keep an eye out for this group.

Rating: 9/10


Image Source: YouTube

Comments

  1. Yey! I'm glad you finally and really reviewed this song thorougly. Although the lyrics are of the same love songs that OPM regurgitates every day. It strikes as an amazing piece of pop music for me.

    And yes, you said it correctly it is more Q-Pop than K-Pop. If you know the Philippines, most Filipinos love to sing and that is one of the basic things taught in schools but Filipinos have a such outstanding voices even comparable (I'm not saying on-par) to Mr. Dimash Kudaibergen. Voices like Morissette Amon, Sarah Geronimo, Rachel Ann Go, Leah Salonga and such.

    That is why incorporating K-Pop and J-Pop is essential together with the original amazing vocal performances by Filipino singers. This is the epitome of what is P-Pop. Pop music that is vocally impeccable, instrumentally gripping and heartfelt. That is the future of what I see.

    Thanks or reviewing 108 Music! I hope to see more P-Pop reviews too and more world music!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also I bet you haven't seen the max potential of SB19's singing. Although its another lamey ballad. Watch this and you'll be blown away by how amazing their vocals is. This is from Wish FM, the Philippines' #1 radio station. It is like NPR Tny Desk. 100% pure vocals. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ygbwp3_J0_s

      Delete
    2. True, the lyrics are dull, but at least the rest of the song is refreshing.

      Glad someone agrees with my thoughts on the similarity. Actually, the SB19 members' voices remind me of 91's Ace. He often does not get to show his potential, as he is part of a hip-hop group, but he can put emotion in his songs.

      Oh, and I'd love to see someone sing like Dimash! Often times, I feel the best musicians are those who love music since birth. My favorite singer of all time, Mukesh Chand Mathur, grew up in a family of music.

      Wow, when I first heard Hanggang Sa Huli in October, I chose not to review as I felt it a dull ballad. The performance actually made me enjoy the song more than ever. I don't think the members are belters, but they can make a simple performance emotional, just like Ace. Thanks for showing it StillBangtan!

      Delete
  2. Oh! and by the way what do you think about BGYO's music video and performance? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2un_yj1IEU

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice, but actually I think it decreased my view of the song. Don't get me wrong, visually it is fully functional, but it feels too trendy and modern instead of edgy or interesting. When I here it, I think I personally would listen to the audio version.

      Delete

Post a Comment