Album Review: U-Know (Yunho of TVXQ) - Noir

 

Album Review: U-Know (Yunho of TVXQ) - Noir

TVXQ are my favorite Korean group. Thus, member U-Know's new solo album gets a review. The album is not perfect, nor is it the best this month, but I thought a review is deserved.

Time Machine

Initially supposed to be an NCT song, U-Know claimed it. Normally, I'd love this complextro hyper-pop Troelsen song. Unfortunately, Time Machine lacks that melodic background that let SHINee succeed with this style. Normally a great vocalist, the vocal processing limits U-Know over here.

Rating: 6/10


Thank U (Full Review)

U-Know is a charismatic performer, and he clearly is above the title track. Still, it is a solid effort.

Rating: 7.75/10

Eeny Meeny

The chorus destroys a lot of the verses' momentum. Thankfully, U-Know is on full-on charisma mode. A less experienced artist would quickly get destroyed by a song like this. The falsettos in the pre-chorus are a great example. While I'll always be a bigger fan of U-Know the rapper, this is a good song to showcase that he is a great singer too.

Rating: 7.75/10

Loco (House Party)

A light-hearted party track, that is how I would describe Loco. Just like Thank U, U-Know devours this easy material. It is an easy listen, lacking the heavy storytelling of TVXQ's golden era material. Still, it is too light for U-Know's abilities, and any rookie could do this.

Rating: 7/10


Need You Right Now

From the moment the short version dropped, my favorite song from the album. U-Know is a charismatic performer, and he can tell a story. Need You Right Now tells a story, no matter how many times told before. The road-trip feel puts it in the same playlist as NCT 127's Highway to Heaven.

Rating: 8.75/10

La Rosa (Feat. Yeeun)

U-Know and Yeeun's vocals provide a dynamic blend in this mid-tempo ballad. I feel some folk and latin elements through the song, building forward. The chorus is easily the album's best, and one of the new year's best.

Rating: 8.75/10


Overall Score: 7.75*

U-Know's new album is probably the weakest of his three mini-albums, but it still is a solid treat. He is a charismatic star, and this album's cinematic intent shows that.


* Rounded score, the actual score is 7.66

Image Source: Deforested Music

Comments

  1. I Absolutely love the mini album! If I could describe "Time Machine" it would be... "head-banging addictive"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting Yan Zaman!

      Well, that is one way to describe it!

      To me, it lacks that melody that makes me such a massive fan of TVXQ. Plus, wonder why Troelsen vocal processed this song. I know that perhaps he wanted the sci-fi style, but TVXQ themselves and SHINee songs by Troelsen have shown that you don't need to be autotuned. I think he must have been under some corporate guidelines or something. Anyway, glad you liked it though!

      Delete
    2. I think SM was putting a gun to his head saying "PUT TREEEND" in grug voice.

      Delete
    3. Okay, I laughed at that! I can somewhat see a bored SM executive (the gangster from the Thank U MV), in a stereotypical gangster accent, threatening poor Troelsen.

      Did not know you had a blogger account, sorry if the instructions were off then.

      Delete
    4. Actually, I was planning to make a blog with blogspot, but there was some error, so I eventually switched to wordpress. Anyways, At least I can comment now!

      Delete
    5. Ya, neither Wordpress and Blogspot are perfect, and blogspot can get quite glitchy. Thankfully, writing is what matters the most, and for being places to write, both work great.

      Delete
  2. Need You Right Now enthusiasts unite! ☆

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment