Review: Taylor Swift - Willow

A picture of Swift's back. She is wearing braids and a plaid coat. The background is a blurred picture of a forest.
By Source, Fair use, Link, Wikimedia

 Review: Taylor Swift - Willow

Small confession: I have not heard 'Folklore' enough to make a major statement, but I really have not loved it as much as many. I get it, it has some lyrical genius moments, and some tracks are really solid, but I have yet to be amazed by it. Thus, my reaction to a new Taylor Swift album was mixed. I have yet to hear the whole album, but if it is like 'Willow', it is a winner.

'Willow' has a basic, folksy melody. Normally, I would use this as a criticism, but over here, I think it deserves praise. The instrumentation and lyrics help create a dream-like feel, a dream from a forest. Taylor's voice adds to this dream-like feel. In fact, Taylor's voice carries the track. Here any cover, and then come back to the original version. Feel the vocal difference? The dreamlike feel is due to Taylor's vocal performance, perhaps the best in the last month or two.

Without any climax, or sections that feel weighty, or any build, 'Willow' is strongly reliant on its whimsical melody. This lack of ambition does hurt the song at times, but it is not trying to be ambitious, and it succeeds due to this. It plays like a lullaby and like a dream. And it makes me want to hear more of Taylor Swift.

Rating: 8.5/10

Comments