Review: Sandaime J Soul Brothers - Rising Soul

 

Review: Sandaime J Soul Brothers - Rising Soul

Sandaime J Soul Brothers (The third generation of J Soul Brothers) has been one of the J-Pop groups that got me into J-Pop first. While many (including me) loved their 'R.Y.U.S.E.I', the song of theirs which got me into J-Pop first was 'Japanese Soul Brothers', and it is kind of hard to understate how important that track was for me getting into J-Pop.

The Weeknd's 'Blinding Lights' has been one of 2020's most influential tracks. K-Pop, Western music, and now J-Pop all had major artists jumping on the synthwave bandwagon. The synth-line in 'Rising Soul' is really solid, and drives most of the track forward. In fact, remove the synths, and the track is supremely underwhelming. The verses especially take advantage of the synth-line. There also is a solid dance break near the end that goes fully electronic cheese.

The chorus is mostly fine, even quite enjoyable, but I found the line "Rising Soul, Rising Soul, it's time" to be oddly underwhelming, considering how solid the rest of the track is.

Overall, 'Rising Soul' is a solid J-Pop track, with tons of room to grow, and I expect it to grow further.

Rating: 8.75/10


Image Source: Arama Japan

Comments