Review: WEi - Twilight

 

Review: WEi - Twilight

 WEi has more than a normal chance for success for a debut. Almost all their members have been part of one successful group or more (1The9, X1, Rainz, JBJ, etcetera). The song is produced by Hui of Pentagon, the man behind massive hits like 'Shine', 'Basquiat', 'Sha La La' and 'Cosmo' of his own group Pentagon, Wanna One's 'Energetic', and JO1's 'Oh-Eh-Oh'. What unifies these songs other than them being hits is that I love them all greatly. So needless to say, with a super-group at hand and a super-producer, this should be amazing, right? Wrong.

Apparently, the company must have thought "gee, these kids have fans, so why should we do the work of publicizing the group?". Also, Hui has been under too much lately. He writes for his group, he is an amazing main vocalist, he is a popular composer for other groups in Korea and Japan. I think after their recent decisions, Cube entertainment has dumped too much work on Hui, and he obviously is going to have to reduce the song quality at times just to make it through. In other words, the group and the producer's agency shot the song in the foot before its release. And the results show. The sales have underwhelmed so far.

I just spent two paragraphs talking about the group and the producer's history, because I can't say much about the song. It is not bad, nor is it good. It has this nice whistling vibe throughout, and the members are clearly very talented, that is evident. But there is nothing new to the track. It has a few elements from Nu'est's 'Bet Bet', and some other from Pentagon's 'Shine'. I think the members deserve better material because they clearly are giving their all. In the end, I am underwhelmed. I gave the song a few days hoping it would grow, but it has just become more disappointing.

Rating: 6.75/10

Photo Source: Kprofiles

Comments

  1. This is the most bland R&B I've ever listened EVER. THIS IS A DISASTER. I actually had high expectations to begin with. Well it was blown out of proportion to hell is the bar for this song. What happened to Hui? Well... God bless... 4/10

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really think it is Hui's fault, I mean, he has been so overworked as of late. From the Pentagon to Road to Kingdom tracks and remixes, to JO1. He is everywhere, and he needs a break. Had Cube not been anti-dating, they could have let E'Dawn write a comeback or two...

      Delete
    2. yes, i hope you do not take it out of context but I am not hating Hui, I am just sad by the song production well sometimes I myself go through this same situation since I am a researcher.

      Delete
    3. Don't worry dude, I get what you meant. I just used it as an opportunity to rant out my frustration with this one decision from Cube :)

      Delete
  2. Ok, I was harsh on WEi. Now I regret it, the song has really grown on me. I'll add my score now it is an 8/10. I don't understand myself, but I feel like I'm hooked on something, it might be the simplicity or the weird nature of the song but I guess I just like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hui songs usually grow on me, and I think the whistle is great, but I stand by my score. Still, I am looking forward to their next offering! Maybe we could get a Rising Sun or BTD from them? They are more than capable :)

      Delete

Post a Comment