Review: Ohm Bhandari - Waves

 Review: Ohm Bhandari - Waves

 This song might be the most obscure one I have written about yet. As of the time of writing (I publish posts usually a day or two after writing), the track has 14 views on YouTube, and I am at least 6 of those. Ohm Bhandari's new EDM album as a whole deserves a checkout. It is one of the best instrumental/EDM albums this year. Though I was initially more impressed by the hard-hitting tracks, the fun, and refreshing summer track 'Waves' has easily become my favorite, though it is still close to some other tracks.

The track bares severe resemblance to ATEEZ's 2019 breakout hit 'Wave', just with a better instrumental loop and more EDM influences. There is some electro-marimba to start the track before some tropical percussion arrives for support. Usually, electro influences make a "nature" song sound too unreal, but they actually work in the favor of Waves. They create an atmospheric beach feel while still not feeling so out there as to make a stuck-in-home-me cry for missing the outdoors.

The chorus of Waves should not work, and it almost does not. The electronic loop is constantly repeated as if to sort of hold back from the stuffed verses, but it builds its own sort-of charming atmosphere. And the second verse is so silent, one cannot help but be worried if the eventual payoff will be worth the wait. Don't worry, it is. The chorus comes back with an additional EDM melody. This duality pays off big-time.

All of this culminates in a climax where all the elements of the song so far (or most) come together, it works so well, that I wish the song goes on for another minute.

Sometimes, great songs come out of nowhere, and this is an example. Few other songs this October have been as intriguing, interesting, and fresh.

Rating: 9/10

Comments

  1. Man, once again i thank you for this review. The fact that you put time and effort into creating this post really makes me thankful. Also, I'm glad you enjoyed the song and hopefully i can create bigger and better tracks in the future :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ohm! (I think you are Ohm, if not still, thanks for the comment), the song truly is fantastic!

      Delete
    2. Oops yes i shoulda informed ya. Its meee

      Delete
  2. I actually agree with your review. Pretty much everything about what you said makes sense. I agree that the chorus shouldn't work, but i guess it does because it just combines everything we have heard before it. Also, did you notice the slight key change for the final chorus? 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the chorus is the song's secret weapon. It initially feels too simplistic for its own good, but slowly sneaks up on you, it works so well. I noticed the slight key change in the final chorus, and I think it is a brilliant move! I am not sure exactly why I did not mention it in the review (I wrote it yesterday), maybe I did not realize it then. The extra EDM melody in the final chorus is just fantastic by the way 😀

      Delete

Post a Comment