Review: Drippin - Nostalgia

 

Review: Drippin - Nostalgia

Woolim entertainment must be going through an emo-phase right now where they are trying to fit in with the wrong crowd. Rather than debuting a new act with a timeless feel like Nell, Infinite, or Epik High, we get Rocket Punch (who eventually got good music), and now, they introduced DRIPPIN!? I guess Woolim must have thought that fans will check the group out as there is an X1 member in it apparently.

Produced the excellent Full8loom team (who wrote WJSN's material a lot of times). 'Nostalgia' reminds me a lot of SHINee's 2013 material, and would not feel too out of place in their Misconceptions of Us album. The chorus, in particular, recalls the golden era of SM funk (Woolim is owned by SM). The chorus is the one place where the group's vocals come together for a funk assault in two phases, which is, er, "nostalgic".

If the verses were as good as the chorus, this track would get a 9.25 or 9.5, but unfortunately, they are not. The second verse, in particular, is let down by an out of place trap breakdown. But the chorus makes me forgive all this. Also, I keep hearing "No Soldier", instead of "Nostalgia" in the chorus.

Rating: 8.75/10

Photo Source: Kpop Wiki

Comments

  1. Very interesting indeed, I agree with you. I must point out the similarities of this to INFINITE's older days or even SM itself very "Nostalgia" (pun-intended). Well it all works out I guess... 9/10. Trackscore: 83

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, I noted the SHINee similarity, but there is some old Infinite viewed through EXO's Love me Right in the track.

      Delete
    2. Indeed, oh today is the announcement of the winners! You will be shocked, I absolutely didn't expect this coming but there they are... I also made a shoutout to 108music at the end! I'll post it when the exporting is finished!

      Delete
    3. Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoUuK4KWUYo

      Delete
    4. Surprised that Pump it Up won, hooray for Golcha though! Thanks for the shout out :)

      Delete
    5. Also, just saw the shout out in the comment too, thanks StillBangtan!

      Delete

Post a Comment