Review: Dimash Kudaibergen - Qaraǵym-aı (Beloved) 2020 Version

Dimash Kudaibergen at New Wave in 2019

 Photo Source: Wikimedia, CC BY-SA 3.0, Link

 Review: Dimash Kudaibergen - Qaraǵym-aı (Beloved) 2020 Version

 This month has been the Dimash month for me, for he is one of the best vocalists ever. From his flamboyant stage charisma to his ridiculously high high-notes, to his flute vocal trick, to his emotive performances, to his deep voice, I thought I had seen the full view of Dimash's artistry, and I was wrong.

Qaraǵym-aı is performed in honor of Dimash's teacher. Now I am new to Dimash's music, but I know he was classically trained, and his teacher passed away (Kenes Duysekeev). And though he had performed this track before, this version is almost entirely different in performance. Qaraǵym-aı is the most emotional piece I have seen Dimash perform. There is not a single high-note, nor any vocal tricks (unlike in the original version). Around 1:40, Dimash intensifies his vocals but pulls back instantly. He does this a few times through the track. The emotion feels real (Dimash looks like he is trying and failing to hold back his tears), and this is Qaraǵym-aı's biggest strength.

Dimash is accompanied throughout by a lone piano (which works quite well with the lyrics). Qaraǵym-aı is sad throughout, pulling in heavier emotional weight than I would have expected, and Dimash songs can make me go through colors of emotions a lot. While Qaraǵym-aı will never be played as much as a 'Your Love', every single listen of this track pulls in more weight than expected.

Rating: 8.75/10

Comments