Review: BLACKPINK - Lovesick Girls

Review: BLACKPINK - Lovesick Girls

If you had told me back in late 2019 "108 Ent, when you eventually start a blog, you will review TWO new Blackpink singles before you get to review your first NCT or Monsta X single", I would call you crazy and would probably think you had one drink too many. But here we are, a ONE MONTH break only between Blackpink singles.

I can't help but usually fall into the Blackpink hype train every time it seems that they are about to release a new single, and then get disappointed. My favorite Blackpink singles are 'Playing with Fire', 'Kiss and Makeup' and of course, 'As if it is Your Last'. But by far my favorite Blackpink single is 'Stay'. The acoustic ballad is simple and timeless and has become one of my go-to COVID-era songs. Thus, when I heard the teaser for 'Lovesick Girls', I fell into the hype train, again. However, unlike the pretty bad 'How you like That', and the first song I reviewed on this blog, the disastrous 'I Scream', I mean 'Ice Cream' (I know it is an old joke, just had to use it), Lovesick Girls lives up to the hype.

The first verse is a dynamic place to show Blackpink's vocal variety. I cannot help but love how Rosé and Jisoo's blend in with the simple guitar. If there are two styles I want to see Blackpink do more, it is acoustic and tropical. Teddy finally redeems himself with the production.

The chorus is actually quite weaker at the start. The shouty 'Ya we are lovesick girls!' borders cloying, and the melody could need some help. While most critics seem to want it to go bigger in the chorus, I actually would prefer a simple melodic chorus like Stay's one right here. It would help this song last for decades. "Born to be alone" refrain is way more successful.

 The second verse raps work great. Lisa is already one of modern K-Pop's best female rappers, while Jennie pushes above her weight. The trap-less arrangement helps too. The bridge is probably my favorite moment in this track as Rosé and Jisoo once again assert their dominance over this track. The climax also works well.

While it could gain benefit from going more anthemic or more melodic, Lovesick Girls is one of Blackpink's best songs in years.

Rating: 8.75/10

Photo Source: Elite Daily

Comments

  1. EXACTLY! It is their best song in a DECADE /j. Finally, I think this is because of BLACKPINK's OWN involvement in the creative process. That is why I actually think that a song becomes better if an artist produces their own work. I really aree on this review, it might not be their BEST of the BEST, but it certainly BEST among 3 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually was going to mention that their own involvement helped but I thought it would make the review too long winded. I just hope they keep going down this path :)

      Delete

Post a Comment