Review: Fantastics - Winding Road

RZN NewLogo 2009.gif
By Source, Fair use, Link

 Review: Fantastics - Winding Road

One of my favorite songs this year is the amazing 'Winding Road' by M!LK (okay, the group name is weird, but a group called Sexy Zone also had one of this year's best songs in 'Run'). When I thought how would I describe the M!LK song, I would describe it as 'an emotional pop song that thrives of nostalgia and triumph without proving to rushed in the tempo'. This description would probably fit a lot of Fantastics' songs. This is quite different from other Exile Tribe groups like Rampage and J Soul Brothers, who thrive on energy and style. Thus, I knew what to expect from Winding Road, and I was not missled.

If I am not wrong, Winding Road is driven by only two vocalists. While this could seem limiting, let us not forget, vocal-driven classics such as TVXQ's 'Love in the Ice' (5 vocalists, later performed with 2) and NCT U's 'Without U' (3 vocalists) did not need large amounts of vocalists to show tone diversity and showcase emotion.

From the start, the piano driven instrumental with the occasional orchestral assist drives the song. Especially during the chorus, which stands head and shoulders over the rest of the song. The verses sound like they could be taken from any Asian romance drama. In other words, they were slightly generic.

Still, one cannot leave Winding Road without feeling emotionally satisfied. But I doubt it will stay in my playlist for long. Many other songs do this style much better, some of them by Fantastics themselves. The music video was well directed, but I feel this song will not last too long, and I will soon be listening to their 'Time Camera' once again before long. But my score is lenient due to the chorus.

Rating: 8/10 

I could not find a good Fantastics picture, thus I pasted one of Rhythm Zone :)

 

Comments