Series Review: Reset (2022)


Series Review: Reset (2022)

Normally on this blog, I review music. However, I am an avid consumer of multiple other forms of entertainment and have long wanted to feature some of them on this blog. TV shows of any type are one of my favorite mediums of art, and when I find some words to write on the subject, you will surely hear from me.

Note: I will do my best to avoid any major spoilers, as I believe this series is best experienced blind

Imagine this: You are stuck on a bus, it will explode within a matter of minutes, and you need to save everyone on board. You also are stuck in a time loop, with no escape till your goal is accomplished. This is Reset's synopsis, and it would suggest a simple "whodunit?" Thankfully, Reset simply uses the time loop genre to explain several, much more complicated, themes within its narrative.

Perhaps Reset's strongest element is its direction. The drama was filmed at a ridiculously slow pace for C-Dramas, and it certainly paid off, each and every second in the drama is packed with details that either flesh out the characters or provide hints for major story elements to come. If you know what you are looking for, a major reveal in one of the final few episodes is teased early in the first episode.

This is all anchored by one of the best acting teams I have seen in a while. There isn't a single dud amongst the entire cast, and there are some A-grade performances from Bai Jing Ting, Zhao Jin Mai, Liu Yi Jun, Huang Jue, Zhang Xi Qian, and Leon Li. However, the easy standout is Liu Dan, who gives earnestly my performance of the year. Saying anything more would spoil large portions of the plot, but there is one scene with her and Huang Jue near the very end of the show, and that scene is pretty much pitch-perfect.

The most essential showcase of the actors, however, is how they interact with each other. This is where the heart of the drama is. Despite romance not being a major plot point within the story, I genuinely think the lead couple is one of the drama's best, as they genuinely feel like two separate individuals that actually have great charisma and relations with each other. With the exception of one scene in the final episode where one half of our lead couple is somewhat omitted, both have an equal-sized role, and that is certainly welcomed.

At its heart, however, Reset is a thematic drama. This somewhat fantastical story of time loops, thrill, and intrigue, is used to tell a story highlighting serious real-world topics, from victim-blaming and cyberbullying, to the danger of stereotypes and abuse. Most of these themes flow naturally into the narrative, and you are given pauses to think about these consequences.

Unfortunately, Reset somewhat collapses during its finale. By no means is the episode "bad", but it feels like the only one in the show written exclusively because it has to be. Almost all the other episodes have some central theme or growth, but the finale has none of that. Additionally, the actions of certain characters, such as the ones played by Liu Yi Jun and Liu Tao, feel inconsistent with those in the previous loops. Additionally, I felt that the final conflict should have involved Liu Dan's character in a much more crucial role, given how important she was. Almost as bad, I felt while the closure for our protagonists was great, maybe some additional facts about their lives outside the loop could be given.

That said, would I recommend Reset? Absolutely. With only fifteen episodes averaging roughly forty minutes, it is a short watch, and frankly, a great introduction to contemporary C-Dramas. It takes classic themes and reworks them into a fantastic new form. With strong performances and strong direction, what is not to love?

Watch and purchase Reset right here!

Rating: 8.6/10

(My series reviews are on a different scale than those for songs. A nine or higher means you are almost end-of-decade list worthy)


Image Source: Soompi

Comments

  1. Oh, I am so happy that you liked this chinese drama, it is one of the best modern recent drama that kept me on edge. Glad to see writing drama reviews, as from kpop, jpop, cpop, dramas are surely next progression. Hope to read more music and drama reviews here. Reset is one of the best drama I watched in recent time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the drama Cooking Diva, this is one of the best dramas this year! Glad that you also don't mind me writing about new stuff!

      Delete
  2. Yo! Reset! That's a really great drama! Definitely one of my fav (Chinese) dramas.
    Also YES. Yes. Yes! The 2 main leads got such great chemistry. I think it really helps when the drama leaves a few scenes for them to interact OUTSIDE of just being on full mystery-mode on within the story.

    I can still remember how intense one of the last few episodes was before the finale because... Well you know you know ;)
    Which I think what makes the finale lose a bit of its impact after the shock wears off. I share similar thoughts with you where the finale feels... eh because narrative reasons

    It's great to see you expand your blog to cover other forms of media. Looking forward to more (new) things coming from you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yeah. I only watch dramas during my uni breaks where I don't have to worry about uni work lol + don't really bring it up much in conversations. But I do enjoy watching them once in a while! You got any fav dramas? Not limited to just cdramas by the way.

      Glad you enjoyed 'Reset' as well!

      Delete
    2. Oh yeah I have a lot of favorite dramas, both Korean and Chinese. They are all fantastic, but really, really long. I also have a historical bias.

      - Queen Seondeok (My favorite series of all time, 62 hours of pure perfection)
      - Nirvana in Fire (Both seasons)
      - Jumong
      - Dae Jang Geum
      - Joy of Life
      - The Bridal Mask (Gakshital)

      I know all are political/historicals etc, but as the person who wrote that massive post on Kingdom's lore, what can you expect lol?

      What are your favorite dramas?

      Delete
    3. Given your passion and enthusiasm for history, I can definitely understand why you have a preference for historical dramas :D
      I haven't watch a lot of historical dramas (only 2 which were 'One and Only' and 'Stand by Me' - both 2021 Chinese dramas) but I can definitely why people like it!

      Again, I haven't watch a lot of dramas, but my favs so far are:
      - Navillera
      - One and Only
      - Reset
      - Tomorrow

      Delete
    4. Yeah, my love of history gives me a bias towards any drama featuring period clothing lol.

      I haven't watched One and Only, but I certainly have heard much about it, I have heard good things about it. Same with the other dramas you mentioned lol. Definitely will try to check them out eventually!

      Delete
  3. Definitely one of my favorite dramas of this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you and other readers really enjoyed this drama, it truly is one of the best series this year!

      Delete

Post a Comment