Review: B.I X Soulja Boy - BTBT Ft. DeVita


Review: B.I X Soulja Boy - BTBT Ft. DeVita

I have slowly but surely been observing B.I's solo career, leaving me quite impressed. Despite that, I never got around to reviewing any of his songs or albums, I blame that on my personal schedule, but it truly was a shame that I missed BTBT back in May, as it has slowly grown into one of my favorite songs of the year so far.

Atmosphere is central to any pop song, and this is where BTBT triumphs. From start to finish, it is an emotive drive through a misty night. It is always incredible when you can visualize a song, and BTBT is certainly one of those. A good part of its atmosphere is provided by B.I's vocals. He has a very unique timbre that can emotionally project like few others, and it drives most of BTBT's angst.

Of course, he is not alone in this song. I really don't get the titling of the song as "B.I X Soulja Boy Ft. DeVita." Yes, Soulja Boy is a big name, but he only appears in one verse in one version of the song, and it frankly is the worst part of the song, providing nothing really of note. It just so happens that his lyrics and flow don't work with the emotions and themes explored in BTBT.

On the other hand, DeVita is an essential part of the song, splitting the verses almost 50/50 with B.I. She is a charismatic performer, but her voice is a little too close to B.I for its own good. There is no faulting her performance on its own though, as she provides sufficient emotional angst.

B.I's true genius comes from the melody, however. The chorus is like a warm hug after an emotional event, a determined glance at an ambiguous future, and dream fulfilled, leaving you wondering what comes next. The production moves from the quite snapping of the verses to an explosion in booming electronic brass textures. These sounds are often used in emotionless hip-hop swag songs, so it so gratifying to see B.I add them such a melodic hip-hop song. BTBT is truly a win at nearly all levels, and I only expect it to continue to grow with time.

Rating: 8.75/10

Side Note: The choreography is, for the most part, fantastic.

Listen to and purchase B.I's BTBT right here!


Image Source: Kpop Map

Comments

  1. It feels rewarding to see people like B.I thriving despite what happened back then.
    And agreed! B.I knows how to do melodies. I forgot how catchy 'BTBT' was.

    Also uh... I didn't even know there was one without Soulja Boy and B.I's verse for that part is so much more fitting (him singing DeVita's part till the last chorus is such a nice touch)...
    I've been lied to?? Betrayed??? This is my villain origin story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BTBT is really so catchy. it got stuck in my head.

      I mean, I actually don't really like BI singing DeVita's part, I wish that maybe they sung together, but it certainly works a bit better than Soulja Boy's rap.

      (Btw, good luck on being a villain, I here that is hard lol)

      Delete
    2. Ahh a duet would have been really cool!

      Also now I'm realising that maybe B.I hasn't released this version because he still has yet to release the album. Fingers cross for the one without Soulja Boy to be released soon on Spotify!

      (Lol we'll see! Maybe me being a villain could be true once I post something soon... You and the others will see what I mean ;) )

      Delete
    3. Yeah, I also believe it is not on Spotify for the eventual album release, fingers crossed!

      Ooh, I am curious to see your upcoming post, can't wait :)

      Delete
  2. I'm ignoring the Soulja Boy version but this might be in my top 5 fav songs this year. I'm scared I overplayed it since its release lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually initially didn't care much for the song, but after the song started rising in views a while ago, I checked it out again and... I love it!

      Delete

Post a Comment