Review: Ninety One - Abuse


Review: Ninety One - Abuse

One project that I am intensely anticipating for later this year is the imminent Ninety One full-length album on the cards. While I don't think it has been officially announced, their impressive list of recent singles, and demos, with even an intro and outro, certainly suggests an album is in the cards. While nothing has yet reached the height of their first album's Mooz (a perfect Kazakh track if there ever was one), there have been some highlights to note, particularly Darn and Qiyalaman. While Abuse isn't as catchy as the aforementioned tracks, it is one of the quartet's most emotional songs in ages.

Abuse is on exactly what one thinks it will be on. With a new team of songwriters, and with Ninety One themselves producing, the song tackles abuse and violence. Obviously, this is a very serious subject to tackle, but Juz Entertainment's team seems to have done well, portraying a nuanced yet broken picture of any relationship lying emotionally tarnished. The chorus has a line that proclaims "I sense feeling in your eyes, but I see no mercy in them". Ninety One acknowledges they are not perfect, but notes that this is not love, and that the abuser must stop.

With such a serious subject, Abuse is understandably understated, relying on a hip-hop trap beat to flow through the entire song. This is a welcome turn for Ninety One, returning them to their routes. Don't get me wrong, I love their recent, more pop-oriented singles, but Ninety One's bread-and-butter has always been emotive hip-hop. In many ways, it is hard not to compare them to K-Pop legends Bigbang. Both are boy bands that often write their own music with charismatic rappers, that succeeded in both emotive hip-hop and aggressive hype tracks. Ninety One and Juz Entertainment seem to know this, as some stylistic choices this comeback seem to recall Bigbang purposefully. I don't see Abuse leaving me as emotional as Katyadan, but it does surprisingly well, with ornate guitars and strings dotting the landscape over the languid and painful hook.

Ninety One are experienced when it comes to songs like this, and all members show what they are made of. My only real fault with Abuse is its abrupt ending. I understand that could be conceptual, but it really feels like a minute was left out of this song. Nonetheless, this is a decent release from Kazakhstan's premier boy bands.

Rating: 8.25/10


Image Source: Tengri News

Comments

  1. Hi, nice review. I am a fan of Bigbang music so I like to discover songs in a similar style.
    I really enjoy finding new songs and artists through your blog.

    Are you doing a Eurovision song ranking this year? I am really curious about your picks, and hoping to see my country there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I introduced you to Ninety One, their music is quite appealing. Thanks so much!

      As for a Eurovision ranking, I earnestly am not sure. I enjoyed this Eurovision much less than usual, and really could only give like 7 or 8 songs an 8 or higher this year, with none hitting a 9, and that is including songs from Melodifestivalen, Melodi Grand Prix, Eesti Laul etc. I could make a ranking, but I am not fully sure if I will do so. If not, these would be those top 8 songs, in no order.

      Stefan - Hope
      DeLULU - Music Saved My Soul
      Kalush Orchestra - Stefania
      Theoz - Som Du Vill
      LUM!X, Pia Maria - Halo
      Systur - Með hækkandi sól
      Subwoolfer - Give That Wolf a Banana (... sorry?)
      Intelligent Music Project - Intention

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your answer.
      I'm always glad to find new artists and discover their music.

      At first i wasn't really into songs from this year Eurovison, but after watching interviews and all performances i strarted to really enjoy this contest. Especially unique, fun and amazing vocally songs ( my favourites from this year was Trenuleţul - Zdob şi Zdub & Advahov Brothers, River - Ochman (especially performance from semi-final), WRS - Llámame and Konstrakta - In Corpore Sano).

      Delete
    3. Your four picks are quite popular. Of them, Ochman's River is another favorite of mine. Maybe not quite an 8, but quite close. I love the choirs and dramatic elements, even if the melody and verses are a weaker version of Caroline Polacheck's Billions.

      Trenuletul is a whole lot of fun, and I love the fiddle, but I wish the melody was a bit more substantial, once again. Llamame is also quite decent. I could never get into In Corpore Sano. I love the idea on its plate, and the lyrics are fun, even if the concept comes off as a little rushed, and purposefully trying to be weird.

      Great picks though, all in my top half for sure!

      Delete

Post a Comment