5 Things I Want in TVXQ's Next Comeback


5 Things I Want in TVXQ's Next Comeback

For those closely following K-Pop and J-Pop news, TVXQ released teaser videos for an upcoming Japanese mini-album coming out on December 8. As a long-time fan of the quintet (now-duo), I am quite excited for their return, as it is their first proper release since 2019's incredible XV album (hear it now if you have not). I am a little disappointed it is not an LP, but I'll take what I get.

However, I need to get my wishlist out front and center already. There are certain things I want for the comeback, and I certainly hope to see them!


1. Include their recent Japanese singles in the album

While technically inactive for over 2 years, TVXQ released some unpromoted Japanese singles last year. I particularly enjoyed Small Talk from November. It would be a shame to leave songs like this and Gaze off the tracklist, for they will be new to many casual fans.


2. Give each member a partially self-written solo track

Yes, a mini can only have so many tracks (I hope it is a 7 track mini!), but I would love at least one song by each member, partially self-written. Yunho can drive into his more performance-oriented style, with a dance track with old-school influences, maybe something like Champagne?

Changmin, on the other hand, can have an eclectic and hyper song, driven near exclusively by his voice, such as Chocolate. On the other hand, he could release a classic ballad, maybe dedicated to his wife? Yunho has not written anything officially since 2014, though Changmin has been more prolific in recent years. However, SM has a habit of not letting great songwriters do what they do (Junsu, for example). I have no doubt the members can pull this off.


3. Have a ballad as the title track

Fight me, TVXQ are nearly always the best when they release a sentimental ballad as a single. Love in the Ice, Bolero, and Doushite are the best examples of their Japanese ballads, but they got many other classics too. As a duo, they lack the firepower of Jaejoong and Junsu, but Yunho has become a much more capable vocalist in recent years, and Changmin is as legendary as ever.


4. Have some SMP B-Sides

While a heartbreaking ballad would be perfect as a title track (No, I am not crying while listening to Bolero), some SMP b-sides by legacy producers such as Kenzie, Young-Jin, or Troelsen, could be a perfect counter to the more sentimental songs. Yunho's song will likely already have some SMP influence, and maybe Changmin too, but some duo SMP songs in the vein of Catch Me, Keep Your Head Down, and dare I hope, another Rising Sun, would be perfect to go alongside the more downbeat songs. Productional flourishes galore, I'd love something like Phantom too.


5. Let it be properly promoted 

TVXQ still sell like crazy, and their concert money in 2019 was the 9th highest in the world, and the second-highest for a K-Pop act, minus BTS. At the same time, SM's promotion has sucked for ages. TVXQ can still sell as well as BTS, NCT, or Seventeen. I know this comeback is under Avex, but SM really should attempt to promote this return in Korea, while Avex in Japan. If done properly, TVXQ can set the world on fire.


Image Source: Channel Korea

Comments