Album Review: Lucy - Gatcha!


Album Review: Lucy - Gatcha!

Initially, I intended to review each song from the album individually, but I ran out of time, so this album review should do. Lucy has had some amazing songs, and this album furthers their development.


I Got U

As always, the violin adds an extra dimension here. That said, the song itself is already really solid. Sanyeob's performance moves between calming and sassy, with amazing precession. The song focuses on the build, leading to an excellent drop for the chorus. Overall, this is one of the most cohesive Lucy songs.

Rating: 8.75/10


One By One

One By One may become either my favorite or most disliked song on the album. It has substantial vocoder usage, almost to an overbearing level, similar to Kind. On the other hand, the melody pulls on retro pop and Lucy's plucky elements to create a song that feels both wild and natural, and at the same time is futuristic like an urban fantasy.

Rating: 9/10


Buddy

Buddy tries to position it as the stadium-ready song of the album. It has a solid melody, even if the instrumentation does not pull enough tricks for the song to differentiate itself from other mid-tempos. The violin in the second half is a saving grace, even if the song is one of the least ambitious in the album.

Rating: 8/10


Wonder

Wonder is pure old-school City Pop. I love a good city pop song, and Wonder scratches that itch appealingly. I wish the chorus pulled together for a stronger refrain, maybe something like IU's phenomenal Lilac. Still, I think I'll come back here often.

Rating: 8.5/10


Overall Rating: 8.5/10*

Gatcha! may not have perfect songs, but the album holds together better as a whole than it does individually. I expect it to only grow on me further as the summer draws us more in.

*Rounded score, actual score 8.5625.


Image Source: The Bias List

Comments

  1. No need to review *each* song from an album. A review or criticism should always consider the album as a piece, first and foremost-- even for a three-song EP. Criticism shouldn't be taken as piecemeal; otherwise, it's gossip for music, and music as consumerist products.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the points DN!

      To me often, I view most albums as simple compilations of songs. Usually, themes do not fully unite. Thus, I like to individually review the songs, and give a cohesive score.

      That said, your point is fully valid. Album reviews should review the album as a whole. I think I struck a neat balance when I reviewed the SHINee album, balancing both the song and album. I am not sure if I did that here. In my review of EPEX's debut album, it was conceptual and cohesive as you stated. I think I might diversify my review style over time, especially when I have a few free minutes/hours. I won't abandon this style, but may incorporate conceptual reviews as well more often.

      Delete

Post a Comment