Review: WJSN The Black - Easy

 

Review: WJSN The Black - Easy

These days, groovy funk seems to be the main idea between everything coming out of the K-Pop idol world. I have no issue with this, I enjoy a funky beat, but I often wish producers would stick to doing what works best with their group's maturation. A good example of this is WJSN. Last year's Butterfly was not perfect, but it worked into WJSN's discography almost flawlessly. March's Unnatural was a very different type of song, pulling into a funky style, and now sub-unit WJSN The Black moves this groove into a much more sensual region.

This sultry style of K-Pop was really popular in the early 2010s, before fading out in the mid-2010s when it somewhat became more about sensuality rather than music. I thas recently seen a revival led by Wonho, OnlyOneOf, Brave Girls, and now WJSN have joined the trend with this sub-unit.

Easy's groove focuses on growth, growing from minimalist to blending and growing in tension. This is noticeable as the song's best moments, such as the excellent post-chorus, and the rap break both come really late in the song. Easy is a great example of how to end a song on a high without relying on high notes, key changes, or many other tricks.

Throughout the song, the vocal effects are initially irritating, and though they work at the end, they are somewhat irritating up until that point. I understand the need for consistency, but the effects are nothing but irritating until near the end.

The funky groove is decidedly electronic, with several IZ*ONE-Esque flourishes thrown throughout. I personally am not sure how well all of them work, but the groove itself is settled, leading to an excellent chorus drop, which is both funky and sultry.

While it sounds nothing like a main WJSN song, Easy showcases a good start to a very different sub-unit. I just hope Starship manages all the units well.

Rating: 7.5/10


Image Source: Deforested Music

Comments

  1. Ah! This amazing song. I really agree though with the effects but the funk bass guitar saved this song from total nonexistence. I am very biased when it comes to this new form of sensuality because I am just captivated by the delivery and execution of the artists here. The instrumentation is also the key point here. Overall, a great debut from a WJSN sub-unit.

    Also, good luck to me today having to review more than 10 songs... I wish I would not die from this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, this is not my type of song, but it is solid nonetheless.

      Wow, 10 reviews! That is a crazy amount. Good luck, and you can review only a few, not all of them. Still, good luck :)

      Delete

Post a Comment