Review: DPR IAN - Scaredy Cat

 

Review: DPR IAN - Scaredy Cat

It has become a 10/10 - Music tradition for me to ignore a somewhat new song at the end of every month, and count it towards the next month eventually. It is ridiculous, but it always happens. In my defense, I follow like 7 or 8 music scenes.

DPR IAN was a member of C-Clown back in the day. He has been building new lore for his new EP (released late last month), driven by some intriguing MVs. I was a fan of C-Clown back in the day, and I feel it good to see some justice for him finally.

Music-wise, Scaredy Cat is not fully unique. The R&B groove is repetitive, and commonly seen in indie and retro circles. Thankfully, DPR is a tremendous performer and uses this song as a playground for him to create a great sense of atmosphere. You can almost feel the different sides of him, from the whispy falsetto to the heavier, deeper, R&B voice. The best moments of the song are when these sides play off against each other, such as in the final chorus. Each also has a corresponding musical style.

They also are some excellent theatrical choices. The fun scream is perhaps my favorite. The retro jazz instrumentation assists DPR IAN but perhaps leaves too much up to him. Overall, it is certainly a fun song. While not my personal style, I can appreciate its charms.

Rating: 7/10


Image Source: Last.Fm

Comments

  1. I've heard so much about Christian Yu yet I didn't know that he had a solo career under this pseudonym. This a decent song, DPR Ian kind of gives me Brendan Urie vibes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See you got the name up. Great to see you here!

      I don't when he debuted, but I think he has only recently been gaining attention, mostly online, for his more western sound. I think he now more considers him a western singer than a K-Pop singer.

      Hmm, I do get some Panic at the Disco Vibes, especially if this is sped up a bit. To be honest I am not too familiar with Brendan's work, so I am presuming on the bit I have heard.

      Delete

Post a Comment