Review: Bon Bon Girls 303 - Shrek Academy

 

Review: Bon Bon Girls 303 - Shrek Academy

Bon Bon Girls 303's post-debut discography has been... a bit weird. My favorite from them is the weird, T-ARA-esque Ahead of Super A Warning. Besides that, my favorites from them have been their advertisement songs. That may sound weird, but a quick look at their discography proves what I mean. The opening line of their debut single Bon Bon Girls really makes me nostalgic for all songs with skrrt nonsense.

Shrek Academy is an OST for a drama based on a video game (Douluo Continent). China's megastar, it-boy, modern legend guy, Xiao Zhan, also sung a song for it and stars in the drama. Xiao Zhan's song is more traditional C-Pop, which I am glad about. Meanwhile, Shrek Academy is club-banging fun.

The best part of Shrek Academy is the chorus. It sounds like a classic dance track from the early 2010s. The hooks are sharp, and the melody is great. The only thing holding the song back is the vocal usage. I have only seen some pre-debut clips to showcase the girls' vocals, and I can tell they are solid. That probably means they were used wrongly for them to sound so raw. At least in the bridge, the vocals come together

Rating: 7.75/10


Image Source: Work Point Today

Comments

  1. The title made me think they are doing a Chinese Shrek spin off lol. Not bad!

    Xiao Zhan looks fantastic. Not related to the actual song but like, kinda got distracted by his face haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The title made me think the same!

      I think Xiao Zhan also sung an OST song for the game, and it is good too. I have debating whether or not to review it, though my schedule leans towards no.

      Delete
    2. Hey! At least Xiao Zhan is trying to become an amazing vocalist with his 25M sales power in one song. Surely anything that he releases with catapult into the best of all-time worldwide. He sells like the modern day 50s artists. But his style is in a more modern way.

      Delete
    3. You know, despite being very trendy, Spotlight has had great longevity for me. The chorus is even a bit euphoric!

      Delete

Post a Comment